1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local indoor range the other day shooting with a friend,and was surprised to see a Springfield stainless Gov. loaded gun have its slide shear off 2" from the muzzle!The shooter was shooting 230 gr factory ball through it.I've heard a few things like this happening before,but in almost 25 years of shooting,never 1st hand.Anyone have anything like this happen to their SA pistol?I've always thought they were as good as any other mfg out there-metalurgy-wise that is.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Hey--this is real interesting. Did the front come off, or did it seperate above the spring tunnel? Never heard of this one before.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
There have been several reports of the Stainless Models that had incorrect heat-treating or something that was 'causing this same phenomenon...SA is aware of it and from reports are replacing those that are reported...Did your "friend" have any pictures of his pistol after the incident?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I saw this happen 3 weeks ago at an IDPA match. It happened right in front of me. I was recording the scores and watching the guys gun when I saw a large silver thing fly down range. When I looked back at the gun, the barrel, guide rod and spring were handing out. The guy kept tring to shoot it without any luck. The hammer was forward and the rest of the slide was out of battery. When the forward part of the slide was retrieved, it was a perfect clean cut of the last three inches of the slide. The shooter was using factory ammo and had less than 50 rounds thru the gun.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I said it on the other thread and I'll say it here. That AINT forged steel. AINT no heat-treating gonna do that to the molecular structure of tool steel.

It's CAST, CAST, CAST!!

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, my 2001 SA Stainless loaded just did the same thing to me last Friday. I have about 700 rounds through it, no handloads and no +P even, though I doubt that would make a difference, anyway. No one at the range had seen anything like it. The front of the slide broke off in the exact same place as in the previously posted photos. I did take a couple digital photos of the broken slide and will post a link to them when I upload the pictures. The Springfield rep is coming by this Monday, so I'll see if he's ever seen this happen.

I'm sure SA will fix it but the thing is it was my carry piece, and I don't know if I want to trust another SA stainless with that duty. Other than the cocking serations which can dual as a cheese grater, I was very happy with my Springfield.

[This message has been edited by h_tolley (edited 10-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
...ask for a carbon steel version this time...They can hard chrome it for you

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
It darned sure looks like it's cast steel, rather than forged. I have always heard that Springfield Armory had forged frames and slides that were made in Brazil? But that slide sure looks cast.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
333 Posts
Maybe you should get an expert to determine if the gun is forged or cast. Maybe that's why SA is so friendly. Like most instances in life, if someone is very nice to you, they are usually ripping you off.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Originally posted by sean:
Like most instances in life, if someone is very nice to you, they are usually ripping you off.
I Hope your usually wrong.

I had a call today. SS EAA gun, 45 cal
Had heard we do welding

guess where his slide broke???
same place. Just thought it was interesting.

I like fred Kart's line
SS is great for pots and pans!
geo ><>

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hate to spring the news, "drop forging" and "investment casting" are the same processes.

The slide shouldn't come apart. Something afoul in the mfg process. Springfield will correct the problem. Just like a factory recall of any other defective product that gets past quality control in today's mass market. Shyte happens.

As for the guy at the IDPA or IPSC match trying to continue shooting his gun after a piece of the slide sailed down-range -- sometimes people are ASKING for shyte to happen . . . to them.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
293 Posts
the more i read about SAs the more inclined i am to buy the current production (2001) auto-ordnance 1911-A1 my dealer has, instead of getting a SA!!!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Did anyone return the pistol to the factory with a list of what was to be fixed...or just go out and pay someone for what they would have done for free...?

Not sure what the complaints are about...

If your pistol broke or just wouldn't work, why didn't you contact the custom shop and have it fixed? ...and if you did, why are you still upset? If it isn't broken, I'm not sure why you're upset either...

...Clear it up for us fellas...'cause from lookin' at the posts above, I see one guy had a pistol break and umpteen that can't seem to figure out what else is goin' on...
If you just want a custom pistol, get in touch with George up above and ask him where to start...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by Genghis:
Hate to spring the news, "drop forging" and "investment casting" are the same processes.
They're actually not the same at all. Forging implies that some sort of impact is used during the forming of the part. Here are some quick definitions I found:

Investment casting - Precision casting for forming metal shapes with minutely precise details. Casting bronze or precious metals typically involves several steps, incl. forming a mold around the sculptured form; detaching the mold (in two or more sections); coating its inside with wax; forming a second mold, of heat-resisting clay, around the wax shell, and filling the interior with a clay core; baking the assembly (hardening the clay and melting the wax, which escapes through openings in the outer mold); pouring molten bronze into the space vacated by the wax; and breaking the mold to expose the cast form. In modern foundries, plastics, or occasionally frozen mercury, are used instead of wax. See also lost-wax casting, die casting.

Drop Forging - Process of shaping metal and increasing its strength. In most forging, an upper die is forced against a heated workpiece positioned on a stationary lower die. If the upper die or hammer is dropped, the process is known as drop forging. To increase the force of the blow, power is sometimes applied to augment gravity.

Hammer Forging (Flat Die)- Preferred method for individual forgings. The shaping of a metal, or other material, by an instantaneous application of pressure to a relatively small area. A hammer or ram, delivering intermittent blows to the section to be forged, applies this pressure. The hammer is dropped from its maximum height, usually raised by steam or air pressure. Hammer forging can produce a wide variety of shapes and sizes and, if sufficiently reduced, can create a high degree of grain refinement at the same time. The disadvantage to this process is that finish machining is often required, as close dimensional tolerances cannot be obtained.

For more info on forging go here ---> http://www.ent.ohiou.edu/~raub/manufacturing/forging.htm

------------------
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I did get a completely new pistol from Springfield as I mentioned in this thread
Springfield sends new pistol as replacement

The Springfield guy I spoke with on the phone said the break in the slide was caused by bubbles in the steel when the slide was cast. It didn't sound like he actually knew any information on why the break was caused, just suposition on his part.

-Hal

·
Registered
21,919 Posts
"Hammer forging" in the gun business, especially in the gun barrel business, refers to the process of rifling (and often chambering) a barrel in one pass through a specialized machine that hammers a drilled barrel blank against a mandrel with the mirror image of the rifling form.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is this problem with slides self-destructing history now? Did Springfield consider identifying the "batch" and doing a serial number recall alert? Or will they just wait for disappointed users to eventually report all the problems?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts