1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When my mom slipped in the question casually as if she knew all along, "What kind of gun do you have?" I said, "I have a USP, it's a cop gun." (I added the cop gun part so she didn't think it was a Tec-9 or something that evil minority crack dealers use on TV shows or something, just to give her some mental security.) She said something lame like, "Well, make sure it's licensed." I got a license for ya!! It was written by some dead White guys 200 years ago!!

***? Does someone have to always say something just to say something? Like "drrr...make sure you leave your safety on". It reminds me of a time when I did my high school's web site, the principle said "Make sure you use the spell checker". I mean how lame can people get??

Curious as to whether you guys run across the same thing with your neutral or anti- friends. Do they just say stupid things just to say something to insult your intelligence?!?! Grrr

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Skunkabilly,
Your comments remind me of a recent visit by my in-laws. They are anti-hunters to the extreme. Anyway, I was watching a show on turkey hunting when my father-in-law sounds off, "Oh, look he is going to blast one of those defenseless turkeys." My follow up comment was, "What was it that you had for Thanksgiving last year?" Needless to say, the conversation was over and I continued to watch my show.

------------------

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bro,

Be patient with them. It's a lot to take in when someone declares that from thence forward, they will be responsible for their own defense and that of their family. Sounds like she was being at least partially accepting.

Bring'em along slowly, but use every chance to bring them along.

Also, patience is a virtue that will serve you well in the shooting "sports."

Come on up and shoot in Santa Barbara sometime as my guest at this club:
http://hometown.aol.com/wcgc2/index.html

Regards.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The color of the guys who wrote the Constitution is not relevant. The Constitution is not a license, but a constituion. They are different legal documents encompassing different things. The Constitution was not written by dead guys 200 years ago as Skunkability so knowingly notes, but actually was by one living guy, Thomas Jefferson, and then edited. Jefferson died after writing the constitution, 50 years to the day that it was voted on an passed, 4 July 1826. It was not written 200 years ago, but 225.

Stupid is as stupid does - Forest Gump
The acorn does not fall far from the tree.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Originally posted by Skunkabilly:

(snipped for brevity)

Curious as to whether you guys run across the same thing with your neutral or anti- friends. Do they just say stupid things just to say something to insult your intelligence?!?! Grrr

(Former) friends, acquiaintences, clerks, co-workers, bosses, the list is almost all-inclusive.

I think it's just another way people try to dominate the encounter, no matter how trivial or brief it is.

·
Vendor
1,642 Posts
As a former "hall monitor" I want to see your pass.

You shouldn't do it that way - you should do it this other way. Let me tell you what you need. You don't need that! Be careful! Who do you think you are?

You aren't qualified to do that! You'll put somebody's eye out! I don't care if everyone else is doing it. I read an article about that so I know what I'm talking about. I wouldn't try that if I were you. Remember what happened to (fill in the blank) when he tried that? You've always had champagne taste and a beer budget - where are you going to get the money? That's way too much to spend on a (fill in the blank.) Where'd you get that knife? you'll cut yourself!

A gun???!!! They'll take it away from you and kill you with it! Are you Rambo now? You'll be sorry.......

No shortage of opinions out there, eh?

------------------
"Your aim in life is not worth anything if you don't pull the trigger."

[This message has been edited by tonerguy (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
154 Posts
I lived with my grandmother many years ago(right about when I turned 21)and was excited to be finally able to own a handgun.Anyhow ,I ran and bought a GP100 and was proud to show it off to family or anyone that was interested.All she could ever say was how terrified she was at having "one of those things in the house" and how she hated them,how if one was in the house the occupants were more likly to be shot somehow.Like me ,she would tell this to anyone that would listen.This is a woman who has had her house broken into maybe a half dozen times over the 30-40 years she's been there.She's got an alarm like many single women do.I'd thought she'd be comforted by the possability of being able to dicourage unwanted entry ,but all she talked about was ;where am I keeping that thing and how she hoped it was locked up,like it was gonna somehow get out of its cage and assault her all by itself.Evil little sucker anyway. LOL!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Rex is right! Most don't outgrow it. I just recently picked up a P08 Luger, nothing special just a DWM 1916. I was telling a co-worker about my recent acquisition and he asked what caliber are those. I explained that the Luger was the original 9mm and his comment was: "Oh, so it's must be like a Glock?"
(Keep in mind that was a man in his mid fifties. )

Originally posted by rex:
There's an idiot born every minute,and most don't outgrow it.Ask me,I can give you many examples.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Believe it or not--my daughter falls int this category.

She is the type that will take anything anyone ELSE says as gospel. Me? I was a Bad Parent; I am not "with it", it's my fault that she turned out the way she did (unmarried, 1 kid, has absolutely no idea who the father is, is barely 20).

I have had guns in my home ever since I've been married (21 yrs this December), and have always had a ritual. Go to the range, come back, lay out the stuff on a cloth on the table, clean guns, finish, and usually wait for the wife to nag me into cleaning up. To my credit, it usually doesn't take too long......

Anyway, I had my .300 Win Mag out, and was cleaning it after returning from a great day at the range (Is there any other?). I had the rifle on a sandbag, on the table, had the bore guide in, and a Dewey rod halfway through the bore.

My daughter started in on how unsafe I was being, that guns just kill people, how irresponsible I was being as a gun owner, and how paranoid I was being for carrying a gun. (Same question I had--where did that come from?) All the great hummus-munching, lettuce eating, bunny hugging stuff we have all grown to love.

Now, she is a self proclaimed vegetarian. Oh, well. Don't know where it came from.

·
Administrator
72,134 Posts
Why yes, guns DO kill. So do commercial jetliners. Where there's a will there's a way, and the means to carry it out. Almost ANY object can become a weapon in the wrong hands.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Powderman:
and how paranoid I was being for carrying a gun.
What do you have to be paranoid about, you carry a gun!

It's funny when someone, either my friends, or my roommate's friends come over, and I'm cleaning my guns. It's like they're afraid that if they touch the rounds laying on the table they're gonna blow their fingers off or something! Hehehehehhe Where's that brown paper bag? BOOM!

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
My mom loves guns, and does'nt like when I take to many out for show and tell, when she visits. She just does'nt get it, if you have a bunch then the likely hood of failure, is not an issue. I keep almost half loaded and ready. And the others entombed in a safe. I also appreciate the licence from our white writters from 200 or so ago. I think the color is important because of what America is. It would be much different if it had been anyone else.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Yep, nothing like them "white writters from 200 or so ago" Redzone. No doubt the color is important for what America is, well educated. Y'all scare the hell out of me.

[This message has been edited by Double Naught Spy (edited 09-22-2001).]

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Western Culture involves a lot non-white peoples like the Portugese, Spanish, many of the French, Italians, Sicilians, and North Africans if you attribute Western Culture to being from the time of the Age of Exploration, many of the most culturally "advanced" groups were on Africa.

[This message has been edited by Double Naught Spy (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Okay.... Everyone take a DEEP BREATH!

This thread was going along pretty well, and now, has spiraled into being about RACE.

Fella's, most of you know that that WILL NOT BE TOLERATED here!

There are many members, of many different races here, and some might find this offensive.

I understand where this began. Skunk is probably "half-white", poor description, I know, but I know he has some Asian decent, and I would guess the "Handle" refer's to the other half as being a Redneck Hillbilly
but who knows, it really doesn't matter.

I can understand the point trying to be made be the references of "White Writer's", but not's get too far away from the topic. I think it's a good one.

Many of us encounter people, who through mis-information, or a lack of education, feel that certain rights that we enjoy are supposed to be "Licensed". They assume this as a result of what the media hypes, or what our wonderful Public School Systems have brainwashed our children with.

Powderman, I feel your pain. My oldest daughter is very Pro-2nd, while my middle daughter tends to see guns as tools of evil. She does understand that the gun is not the object of evil, in and of itself, but still has a hard time understanding fully. I only hope that she is never threatened, and learns in a negative way, the importance of Self Defense.

My mother is also Asian. She has known for many years that I had guns, that my father introduced me to hunting, and Shooting Sports. Funny, when we were out to dinner a few weeks back, and the topic of guns came up, she was somewhat surprised. She expressed concern, just as Skunks mom had.

I think that is just part of Mom, being Mom. Hey, if she loves you enough to be concerned for your saftey, let her, it's fine. I took the opportunity to educate my mom. She NOW has a different understanding, and an appreciation for Handguns, and Self Defense. The next step MAY be that she will ask me to help her choose a gun for herself. She has been living alone for a few years now, and while her neighborhood is very secure, she understands, things can happen, and her sense of security is not immune to change.

I feel it's very important that we take the time to help people understand certain things. Now, more than ever, many, who had never considered being gun owners will be looking at us for help, for answers, for EDUCATION.

Anyway... I guess I will step off my soap-box...

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts