1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I "hit the Jack-Pot" last night at our local Friends of the NRA banquet. Purchased a $20 chance on the "Winner Take All" drawing and won (never do that again in a million years). One of the three weapons is a Ruger SR1911, it was blued and appeared to be Commander length. I don't get to pick it up until Sunday afternoon. :bawling:

I have two other 1911s (a Colt and a Wilson Combat) so I am far from new to the platform, just new to Ruger's pistol.

Being factory stock should I expect any feeding issues with SWC? I run Missouri Bullet's 185gr "Button bullets" in my standard range loads and have built them to function in either of my other two 1911s.

How well does the SR1911 function with other brand magazines?

Any other things specific to the SR1911 I should keep in mind?

Thanks,
Grumpy

BTW, the other two weapons were a Beretta A300 Outlander Max4 12 gage and a Del-Ton DT Sport in .223/5.56 NATO.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Everyone's experience varies, and each person is a sample size of just one. That being said, I've owned my Ruger SR1911 for 4 years now (I just had to have the first one for sale in my area) and I have experienced no failures of any kind regardless of whether I was shooting factory hardball, JHP, or my own powderpuff reloads. Just for fun I've run it with a variety of magazines ranging from brand new Wilson 47Ds to old WWI vintage government mags with the lanyard on the bottom to those chintzy "10 bucks for 5 mags" gun show specials, and none have failed to feed perfectly.

If you look online long enough, you will certainly find some folks who have not had the same luck I have had with my SR1911. But you asked for experience, and that's been mine so far. Congrats on what (I think) is a great 1911.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have shot several SR1911 and they have all functioned perfectly.. They tend to be slightly loose. But are a good solid gun for the money..

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
I have had a couple of the 5 inch since the fall of 2012 and got my first Defender in Jan 2013 and added a couple more this year. So far they have been great with supplied Ruger mags, Colt mags, Wilson,McCormick, Mil surplus, etc. If a mag won't work in a Ruger it doesn't work in other 1911s I have. Need a picture.

·
Premium Member
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I picked the Ruger up Sunday afternoon. These photographs were taken just as I unpacked it. After field stripping it and a good cleaning (with appropriate lubrication in the right spots) It's ready for the range. So far I'm delighted with what I've seen.

Not bad for 1/3 of a $20.00 Winner Take All ticket! (the other two are a Beretta A300 Outlander Max 5 and a DPMS Oracle in 5.56 NATO) :)

Grumpy

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
Congrats on the win Grumpy! I love my Ruger 1911. The only issues I had were getting the fine tuning right with xtreme swc. Once I got it squared away no issues what-so-ever.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Being factory stock should I expect any feeding issues with SWC? I run Missouri Bullet's 185gr "Button bullets" in my standard range loads and have built them to function in either of my other two 1911s.

How well does the SR1911 function with other brand magazines?

Any other things specific to the SR1911 I should keep in mind?

Thanks,
Grumpy

BTW, the other two weapons were a Beretta A300 Outlander Max4 12 gage and a Del-Ton DT Sport in .223/5.56 NATO.
Please report back on how your SR1911 does with your Missouri 185 gr Buttons. I'd like to know your OAL and powder/weight if you would.
I have just gone thru a nightmare trying to build a load using Berry's flat nose plated bullet. They just won't feed in my 5" SR even at an OAL of 1.2". Going to try to go down to 1.17" as someone else suggested. (Berry's Round Shouldered 200gn have all fed perfectly from 1.22" to 1.24")

Congrats on your new Ruger! Enjoy it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Lovin' the Ruger lightweight I've got. My grandson's 5" is fun to shoot too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts