1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if someone is going to continue or pick up production of the Garthwaite straight trigger?

·
Registered
972 Posts
It's only been a few months since Jim Garthwaites passing and I'm sure that his family has been occupied in the minutia of settling the estate. So far...there's been no word on anyone picking up the Garthwaite Straight Trigger accessory...yet. His family may have other priorities at present. But I suspect that in time (??), someone will want to keep this popular accessory on the market.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have done some poking around looking for these triggers. I confirmed with Don Williams that these triggers were made by Mr Garthwaite in house on his CNC machinery. They were not out source to an external vendor. I have not spoken to anyone in the family or anyone directly involved but it is my understanding that the widow did not have any interest in the business and that the other family members do not either. There are no plans to continue the business in anyway. Unfortunately I believe that when we lost Mr Garthwaite we also lost his fine trigger design.

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
674 Posts
A trigger comparison:

If anyone in the Chicago area has a Garthwaite trigger installed in a High Power, I'd love to see one, as I never have, and it is unlikely I will run across one for sale to play with. I do have the new BHSS trigger, which is straighter than the stock trigger. I do love it... and on a recent range outing it performed perfectly through 17 magazines. My target accuracy improved, which may have also been due to the BHSS Elite Barrel which I also used for the first time.

The following two photos illustrate the difference between the BHSS trigger and a stock trigger.

BHSS Trigger in 1982 Alloy Detective:

BHSS Trigger 4.jpg

Stock Trigger in 1981 SilverChrome:

Stock Trigger 4.jpg

Garthwaite Trigger from website:

Garthwaite Trigger.jpg

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a shame that no one seems to be picking up production of the Garthwaite trigger as it seemed to be a popular upgrade.

The trigger from BHSS looks like it has some potential but WOW they must be proud of it as it’s not cheap.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The BHSS trigger is more than just a replacement trigger. It is a complete overhaul of the trigger sub assembly system, with an optional but included magazine eject spring, and four different trigger springs which allow the user to choose a lighter, or heavier trigger pull.

I have the #2 spring (second heaviest) installed on mine. I’m getting a 4# 5.2 ounce pull which is very smooth and consistent. For me, with the 9mm extra wide serrated face trigger, it is perfect on my daily carry High Power. I’ll receive a second trigger shortly, the 8.4mm smooth face, and intend to install it with the lightest spring in my ‘81 SilverChrome, my favorite High Power at the range.

I could be mistaken, as I’ve never seen a Garthwaite trigger in person, but I imagine the BHSS Advanced Trigger Sub Assembly will far out perform the Garthwaite or any other “replacement trigger” installed in a standard HP trigger system.

It looks like the BHSS going price is right around $100 with BHVET discounts, $125 without. Compared to the C&S Wide Combat Trigger at $52.50 today, this seems like a bargain for improvements in design and functionality. I actually have the C&S trigger installed on 5 of my High Powers. Although I really liked the C&S trigger, they will likely be replaced as soon as my back ordered serrated triggers arrive, unless I change my mind and prefer the smooth faced trigger!

I ran most of 17 magazines through mine last week. My trigger finger REALLY likes it and my shooting has improved... partly due to the new BHSS Elite Barrel which was also used for the first time at this outing.

Cheers,

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts