1911Forum banner

Source for Silca-gel Packets?

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  eraser 
#1 ·
Anyone know where I can get a hold of packets of silica gel for my gun bag and pistol cases? Alternatively, if someone has a better solution for portable dehumidification, I'm all ears.

#2 ·
Hakko said:
Anyone know where I can get a hold of packets of silica gel for my gun bag and pistol cases? Alternatively, if someone has a better solution for portable dehumidification, I'm all ears.
I haven't been able to find them for sale, but my son found a ready source for free...the local 7-11 store. Their candy ships with large (2"x3") packets in the cases. The manager just tosses them so she lets me have any that I want.
What's their old slogan?...Oh thank heaven? ;)

Ernon

#11 ·
hey guys, e-mail your needs for silica. im not sure on the price yet, but i have some already in stock. the ones i have are large plastic bags with one side of paper. you lay it in the floor of your safe. when the contents turn dark brown (they actually get wet from mine...very humid here)you just toss it and replace it. if anyone is interested send me an e-mail : M
Maximimum1911@hotmail.com
i should be able to get several sizes, but i have the large ones in stock. they are about 10'x6'x2' (just geussing). i can get the real dimensions if anyone is interested.
my safe is in my out building. the floor is concrete, and the safe is filled with concrete. there is no heat at the moment so it sweats quite a bit. without the dessicants the guns are damp after a short time. the dessicant has been keeping them bone dry. the drier your air the longer it will last. if you are in a damp situation like me, you will have to change them out a little more often:D .

holler if anyone wants more info or pictures.

BTW; would anyone want small bags for some reason? if not i will stick to the safe size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.