1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if there is a good site that has info on the South American 1911's.

I picked up an old 1911 that has a Brazilian slide that is marked as follows:

L/H side of slide: Fabrica de Itajura' - Brasil (made in Itajura, Brasil)

R/H side: Exercito Brasilerio, preceded with a very well done Star rollmark

There is an importers mark on the l/h side of the frame, but it's lettering is too small for me to read.

Other than the serno (70297 2652), slide marks, and importers mark, it has no other marks.

Any ideas? I wonder if the frame is a Systema, but the slide is Barzilian, not Argentine.

I traded a 1969- 1970 J frame S&W for it.

It is loose as snot, but put together a tight group (one flyer) at 21 feet, about thesize of a quarter.

It shoots a little left, but no biggie.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I won't swear to it..But I have a strong hunch that what you have there is a Springfield Armory, or at least made from the same parts that are supplied to Springfield.

Just a guess though.

Be safe:cool:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is in no way a Springfield Armory gun.

Way too old.

The serno is in the same script as the Systemas that I've seen.

the only difference is that the slide is Brazilian. The rollmark doesn't resemble the SA rollmark in any way.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I recall seeing something about some GI "replacement" slides made in Brazil back in the 60's or 70's? Still see them for sale on ebay, Sarco, CDN, etc. pretty often,

My understanding is they were made by the same outfit that became the company (Imbel ?) that now makes the frames/slides used by Springfield Armory.

Wouldn't be too shocking to find a Brazilian replacment slide on an Argentine Sistema frame. Neighbors, after all.

Not speaking spanish, I haven't looked at web-sites "down-there" but I sure haven't run across any english-language sites devoted to south-of-the-border 1911s.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
The main language in Brazil is Portuguese, not spanish. It is different enough from Spanish that you would have trouble. Best Karl

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Try a google search on Sistema Colt, or Ballester-Molina, and you'll see what I mean.

The .ar in the url doesn't mean Brazil.

Plenty of sites talk about these pistols, but I don't know what they're saying, in either case, Portugese nor Spanish. :confused:

Probably cruffler.com has the most info of the sites in English.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Itajura made pistols, not just slides. The guns were copies of the Model 1911A1 and some were marked M911A1 (note the absence of the first "1" in accordance with Brazilian and Portuguese nomenclature). After the armed forces converted to 9mm, they converted the pistols to that caliber, which meant replacing the slides. The old .45 slides have been sold on the U.S. market. Importers and others "found" frames that were mated with the Brazilian slides so that complete pistols could be sold. I suspect that is what you have.

The serial number format does not seem to conform to the Brazilian, Argentine, or any other pistols I am aware of.

You have a shooter, and it sounds like a good one.

Jim

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a Pic of the gun

This is the l/h side with a target.

Ammo was PMC 45A 230 Grn FMJ

Distance was 7 yards

·
Registered
250 Posts
This is very interesting! That factory is normally spelled "Itajuba", not "Itajura." It is indeed the Imbel that supplies the present commercial Springfield Armory its parts.

I read in a military small arms book that they made new 9mm's as well as converted some from .45's for the Brazilian military before they adopted the Beretta M92, which was made in the plant later bought by Taurus.

Imbel also made FN-FAL rifles for the Brailian govt.

Texas Star

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It could very well be Itajuba. Just like some other rollmarks get buffed out or worn out (which is more likely the case here), it could have happened here too.

The pic makes the rollmark appear a lot sharper than it really is.

·
Registered
Prized 1911A1 - Nighthawk Custom I built while attending gunsmithing program at Montgomery CC
262 Posts
I bought several of these slides from Mr. Reese of Springfield Armory at a Columbus OH (OGCA) show in 1985. They have made great shooters and traders. Looks like you have that one zeroed in just right.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dear,
This kind of 1911 is made by IMBEL (www.imbel.gov.br), IMBEL is Brazilian Government Company, in restricted way; a Brazilian Army Company, it suppies Springfild by slide and others 1911's parts.

You can find some information about it in this site URL=http://www.imbel.gov.br]www.imbel.gov.br[/URL]
I have one of it, in 9mm caliber, if you you have any question or problems with portuguese language, I can help you.

Congratulations, you have a nice gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts