1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a round 2 rack grade CMP 1911 a few months ago and haven't been able to find out much on the slide that came on my pistol. It's a Remington Rand frame dating back to 1944 with all of the typical WWII era RIA rebuild markings. The slide I can't find out much about however. It is stamped Space Research Corp on one side and you can barely make out the 7790314 on the other side. I can't find much info on SRC making small arms parts. Anyone know how common of a slide this is or exactly what years it would date back to? I know the 7790314 dates it to a Vietnam era rebuild but that's about all I can find. I tried to join the CMP forums to ask the experts there a few months ago but evidently they don't approve new members anymore.

It did take me down a long and fascinating rabbit hole and I learned the crazy story behind Space Research Corp and Dr. Gerald Bull, though. Interesting story to say the least.

Very happy with what I got from the CMP. It's a very cool piece of world history and I wish it could talk.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory
Hood Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Owner was Canadian and was assassinated in 1990 in Brussels I think, Company was dissolved soon after so it's a newer hardened slide made in the 80's. Was into really big artillery guns also. Kind of interesting how the end of the company came around. Don't know if they ever found the assassin.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Did you post this on a CMP FB page?. I remember someone did and I think I heard somewhere else another person got one from the CMP too.SRC got a contract to produce slides, how many is the question but I wouldn’t think it would be very many.It is definitely the coolest 1911A1 variation out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
Looks like it’s been around the block. Pretty cool pistol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts