1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I own a Gold Match II and I'm quite happy with it. My question is simply this:

What parts or parts kits should I purchase as spares, and where should I get them?

A few obvious ones:

Slide Stop Lever: Shell out for a Wilson or is there a different one to get?

Recoil Spring: What strength should I get?

Barrell: Pricey, almost like buying another gun. Worth it?

Recoil Spring Plug: I could see this little devil getting lost. It seems Kimber-unique, or at least unique to guns with full-length guide rods.

As for other parts, the problem is that I haven't learned how to fully disassemble the weapon. However, I suppose I could learn on the fly with a good book handy. Still, parts that are harder to remove (such as the ambi-safety) would present a problem.

So, where to go shopping?

Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Spare parts?
A Glock 21 :dope:

Here's an idea: After your pistol is broken-in, and all is well, go ahead and replace the parts mentioned with premium ones. (Wolff, Wilson, etc) Then save your still-good parts for replacements if it's ever needed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had actually thought of that. It's a fine idea. Still, the question is which ones do I get?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm a newbie on the 1911 platform, but have shot other pistols for years.

Know from experience Wolff makes great springs (magazine, recoil & trigger) and have used them on most of my Ruger 45lc & 44mag, Glocks, and AK47.

From lurking & reading this and other forums, it seems that Wilson is a safe bet for your other hardware, like FPs, FP block, slide stop and magazines.

Just keep away from recoil buffers alltogether on pistols (except for Mac 10-11 which require them) I had such good luck putting them on my rifles, I got some for the pistols (Browning highpower, G19 & 21) Turned them into jam-o-matics :grumble: Took them off, and they were 100% again. Those buffers are in my "junk drawer" in the garage now...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, first let me say that I agree with the “shooting the heck out of it, first” theory.

Okay, something like a barrel may (or may not – who knows) require gunsmith fitting. I don’t like the idea of having an extra spare barrel fitted by a gunsmith only to find out 50,000 rounds later that the gun might have worn just enough that the spare is rendered useless. Makes more sense to worry about it when or if it goes south.

There is no magic formula for determining what will break or when. Some parts last and last and last and some break quickly. I have lost a lot more parts than I have ever broken. I have also stripped enough grip screws to keep Brownells in business. I don’t mind replacing small wear pieces, but if something seriously goes wrong with the gun, it will go back to the factory.

Buy extras of small pieces that can suddenly disappear when field stripping a gun. I seem to have a black hole just below my work bench that sucks small screws and small parts into a hidden dimension. Extra springs, firing pins, and grip screws are where I would start. I would also recommend Pat Sweeney’s Gun Digest Book of the 1911 as a general guide and the Kunhausen books if you get the itch to mess with the details.

As to where to buy, try Midway USA and Brownells. Both have treated me well.

Good Luck! Oh, and the best way to detail strip a 1911 is by doing. There is nothing you can scew up so bad that this forum can’t help you make it right.
:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts