1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently asked Springfield if I could buy any spare parts from them for my GI-45, just to have them on-hand if they are ever needed, ie pins-springs.

They said for "liability reasons" they don't sell any "kits".

What "Spare Parts" are recommended to keep on hand, and who's got the best?

I'll start with my ideas:

Spare Springs: Wolff
Spare Slide Stop: Wilson or Ed Browne
Spare Firing Pin
Spare Firing Pin Stop
Spare Hammer-Sear-Ejector Pins
Spare Barrel Link & Pin
Spare Hammer Strut
Spare Extractor

What have I missed, and who should it come from?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,216 Posts
I keep an extractor, firing pin/spring, firing pin stop, recoil spring plug, slide stop, grip screw, safety/slide stop plungers and spring assembly, and three mag release locks (the only parts I've ever broken are extractors and a mag catch lock). You'll note that most of them are parts that are spring-loaded, and likely to "get away", as opposed to parts that break.
I have enough small parts to build a gun, at home, but the parts listed above are in my range bag. Most of my spares are Colt, or G.I.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
My response would echo Rick's.

If I had to have a bare-bones minimum of spare parts however, they would be:

1) Fitted and tuned extractor
2) Fitted firing pin stop
3) Slide stop

·
Registered
85 Posts
+1 on keeping spare spring loaded parts....

Hilton Yam has advised that the best spares kit to bring with a 1911 is a spare pistol. I think that this is logical especially when you consider that, if something breaks, many of the spares may need to be fitted for the gun to work correctly.

That being said, I try to carry a spare, pre-fitted extractor with each gun, where the spare has already been tested and I know it will work. A matching firing pin stop plate is another nice to have item.

Also, as noted by previous posters, the spring loaded detent pins and recoil spring plug are very important (because they are most likely to be inadvertently fired into the stratosphere and lost), if not for you then maybe for your buddy. I brought a 1911 spares kit with me to a 3 day tactical training class this summer and had given away the two detents and their spring to a classmate with a disabled 1911 in the first hour of the class :biglaugh:

good luck

Tim

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could we get a quality maker-marketer to put together a "1911 Forum Spare Parts" Kit with the above mentioned items?

I'd bet it wouldn't cost all that much, and I'll bet the demand for at least a couple of dozen units would be pretty good!

Ed Brown...Wilson, EGW, anyone listening?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts