1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What spare parts should I have on hand? I can foresee a lot of scenarios, ranging from societal collapse to political BS, that might leave us without resupply. So what should I stock and in what quantity.

I'm running a SA :rock: M1911, an AK clone, 10/22, and an 870. I figure we should all start thinking about stuff like this now, rather than wait until after the election.

Thanks!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I like to have plenty of reloading components and supplies for ammo.

As far as spare gun parts:
1911's - Sear / spring, a few recoil springs and a spare guide rod, a few odd and end springs and pins, extractor, ejector, lots of magazines.

I don't have an AK but my AR gets - Spare bolt and carrier, I have all spare replacements springs and pins for the AR, lots of magazines.

No spare parts for my 870.

No spare parts for my 10/22.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The easiest spare parts set is an extra gun. If you break something, it is easier to just go to the safe and get the spare and you are good to go. Also, it is probably cheaper than buying all the spare parts you might need. And on top of that, you have another gun! Otherwise, the basics are consumables like springs, and heavy impact parts like firing pins, and easy to lose stuff like pins and screws. Turns out it is pretty hard to predict what exactly will break, I guarantee you it will be the part you did not stock.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Don't forget a broken shell extractor for the AK. They are a must have.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Too much speculation for me, but in a disaster of national proportions working guns and ammo to go with them would be valuable barter tender. Millions of liberals would suddenly have the scales fall off their eyes and realize this is not a nice warm fuzzy world, that we can't all just get along. They would be the market. Parts to keep guns working would be even more valuable than the guns themselves. Sorry for the drift. :)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
One other gun that I would like to have in a survival situation would be a 12 gauge, break action, single shot. They can accomplish a lot in hunting and defense - and are virtually indestructible.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
As a general rule (mine) for handguns:

1) Ten (10) magazines/firearm plus support parts -- springs, followers, bases, if removable -- for heavily used sidearms...
2) At least one (1) spare part for every usable/working/wear part in the firearm; especially the fire-control parts that would be difficult to machine or acquire...
3) Multiple springs -- at least six (6) of each: magazine, internals...
4) 1000+ rounds of ammunition/handgun for training. Self-defense ammunition should/can be less but at least 200 rounds...
5) As much brass, bullets, primers, powder you can afford...
6) Reloading dies and spare parts for progressive reloaders, plus a back-up system (usually a single-stage press)...

A list for your rifles would be different, but their needs should include a good spare bin as well, plus a good supply of ammunition (reloads or military surplus)...

As these parts could be prohibited or restricted if the anti-gunners get in power, they must be stock-piled. Some non-restricted supplies:

1) Batteries (high-grade) for all your gadgets...
2) Extra rifle optics...
3) High quality storage containers (plus safes for all your firearms)...

I'm sure there are many items I missed, but this would make me feel comfortable if the anti-freedom people make life difficult for us. A good and well stocked spare parts and ammo reserve makes me sleep better at night...

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
If society collapses, I have enough guns and ammo to be able to resupply.:cool:

If this does happen, good drinking water will run out faster than ammo and guns.

·
Registered
209 Posts
So you think at the risk your country will be controlled by communists and liberals assholes (the same stuff) like France or England???

if you have liberals, before they ban guns you will have a big taxes increase effect...

:biglaugh:

America without guns is not America

no offence, just kidding ;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
John-John said:
So you think at the risk your country will be controlled by communists and liberals assholes (the same stuff) like France or England???

if you have liberals, before they ban guns you will have a big taxes increase effect...

:biglaugh:

America without guns is not America

no offence, just kidding ;)

:scratch: :scratch: Huh???:scratch: :scratch:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts