1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have recent topics of holsters, grips and sights. Even a couple of newly acquired entire hi powers. Well how about some slides now.

First from the top we have a silver chrome 40 slide. Must get those millets bashed off. Then we see a type 65 with heinie originals. Next up moving down is a type 73 hard chrome with heinie slant pros. Next up, a type 65 contract T slide with bomar clone. Lastly, a type 65 in hard chrome with Novak mk ll sights. A little something for everyone.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Kool C, great idea :cool: Slide ID: sights...aftermarket and factory...yea, get the Sharkfin/Millets bashed off + ejection port and bushing differences :cool:

Are all those slides in El Chuntaro Parts Inventory...or is there an original frame to go with each?

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These are all from parts inventory. All but the 40 slide are old window but one barrel, in the contract t is a new slide window barrel which works fine in the old window slide. Never had the frames that went with any of these.

My slide collection came from humble beginnings. I wanted sights for a 69C and did not want to cut the slide. After an extensive search, I found a new old stock type 73 in nickle at Brownells. Of course, mk llls were in excess of what 20 yeArs old. The last factory nickel gun was 81 more or less so we are talking old old stock. They gave me a really good price to get rid of it. I had the nickel removed and had it hard chromed since my guy in state does no blue. Then one thing led to another. I may include the other stories later if there is an interest.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Interest.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spare slide story for number two.

Number 2 was a gun broker pick up type 65 top end complete. Did not have near the parts then I have now. I had to completely populate spare slide one with new parts except for barrel.

Why did I need another spare slide? Well I ended up using number one with a mk ll to keep from cutting it. I wanted black for the 69.

I sent it to get the heinie original hi power version and the rest as they say is history.

I have used this slide on many frames to test pistol function with good sights. Come on! You would not want me to just blast em off into the back stop would you? This slide barrel combo is very laser like. So is number three but that is the next installment.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Your collection of parts is amazing. You should have a garage sale.

I'm confused about your trading them around. Do you have a matching set of frames or are these truly spares? Of the set, I like #4 or #5 the best. To my eye the dark extractors look odd on the chrome. Only the top one would make me want to make a change. That style sight looks like an after thought stuck on the slide, but not really belonging there.

The color of the two chrome slides (#3 and #5) looks different on my screen. Are the they that way in real life?

Vern

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was going to start three but see there are questions in need of answers. Now I am telling the story in chronological order and that may cause a problem. These slides are all spares acquired as slides. They came attached to no frames. I have since acquired some spare frames with no slides to help me use these but that is for later. Spare slide one is third in the picture. Spare slide two is second. The HC slide in the middle does differ from the HC on top and on bottom. The one in the middle has polished flats. On top is factory and on bottom mimics factory but we know from age it was done in the aftermarket.

Now onto number three. I never really saw the need for adjustable on an hp but I always liked the look of the hidden leaf bomar install. I picked this fn contact four digit slide up stripped from sarco. I hAd the sight cuts done and had it populated. It now has a kkm barrel in it. It is another laser and has been used on various frames. I thought my spare sliding was now complete but I was wrong.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Installment four: the Novak hard chrome

I was victimized, again, by the evil website gun broker. If I see something I do not have, and see a possible need or a strong want, I am in trouble. I just picked up a spare HC frame. Now even though I had a spare hard chrome slide in number one, it was equipped with heinies. Should not I have one with Novak? I said yes and took a bite of the apple.

Now onto HC extractors. Not offered. HC is tough to work with once it is on. You need to be able to adjust an extractor and HC makes that tough. I suspect that is why browning fn does not do them and why my plater on number one in the middle did not do it. The Novak HC slide with the HC extractor came that way already done in the aftermarket and will get replaced with black if there is ever a problem.

Burgs:

Have your HC sub contractor guys given you an option on the extractor or have they proceeded on their own in which direction?

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I specified that the extractors on all of my hard chromed pistols be hard chromed.
I believe that Brownells and/or Midway sells hard chromed HP extractors also, if one feels the need to buy one.

Generally, on all of my Hard chromed pistols the only parts that I like to keep black are the sights.

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. That explains it for you and your sub contractors. I think my sub contractor and the factory have another view obviously. My HC guy does the 1911 extractor after he tunes it. The Bhp he might have seen the adjustment pad arrangement and left it untreated with a purpose. He will tell me right quick he is not hi power fluent but I know he has a trained eye and sees things like a part that may require future tweaking and has a built in tweak surface. They tell me hard chrome and files are not real compatible. I did not think you had any black sights. :scratch:

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
ALL of my sights are black (meaning not hard chromed) unless it's a stainless on stainless fixed sighted gun.
For purposes of clarification, by "black" I mean they still have white dot tritium for the most part, they're just not silver.

I had a snubby S&W M-66 hard chromed years and years ago and the guy who did it got carried away and did the entire adjustable rear sight assembly too. They were pretty dreadful. I had a white outline black sight blade put on it in short order.

"Black sights":

Attachments

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I for one am glad you clarified that. You meant to say your sight bodies are black but your sights are in various configurations. That makes sense. I never would have expected HC sight bodies or sights until you indicated that happened to you.

Installment Five:

The factory forty cal hard chrome with factory black extractor.

This slide kind of spoke to me as the HC forty complete gun is a tough nut to crack. It is hard to find and pricey. I really did not need anymore pachmayr take off grips either. While I do not have a forty cal hard chrome frame and dislike the reverse two tone treatment, I can fix a frame to match. I do have a bad sight install on a forty slide and the way things are looking, this slide may be the best fix for that. This slide did come with two nickel mecgar magazines with pachmayr bumper pads, the barrel and all small parts. No barrel would have been a deal breaker in forty.

This completes the saga of the five spare slides, I think.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
chuntaro, Wow, I thought I had quite a few HP and 1911 parts. I did have a couple of extra HP slides, barrels,etc. Still have a couple HP barrels and assorted small parts, but am at Junior College, as opposed to your PHD level, with HP parts and knowledge. I am glad to see that I am not the only one who likes parts though. OK, in my case, it's probably a parts fetish where HP and 1911 parts are involved ;-)

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The spare parts are fun. Still have not broken an fn part though. Vern thinks I should have a garage sale but folks tend to be chilled by the prices. Slides and barrels are very high from MO. These were all less expensive compared to those but when you add sights, there go the savings.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Submoa found me a nickeled HP 40 extractor at Numrich Arms, so I just ordered one for my spares box.
I learned this trick from Chuntaro. I don't believe that I have ever had broken a Hi Power part either, thus far.
The way I see it, having a spare part will guarantee that you will never have a need for that part - you will only break parts that aren't in you inventory.
Since Chuntaro has ALL the parts in his inventory, he is thus guaranteed to never have a breakage. Pretty smart, huh? :rock:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts