1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new (well, slightly used) Milt Sparks BN-55 arrived today. My Hi-Power fits in it very well, inserts smoothly, held securely, withdraws smoothly. But my Les Baer P-II, with front slide serrations, has to be shoved in rather firmly, and then cannot be withdrawn one-handed, I had to grasp the holster with the left hand and really haul on it to get the pistol out. My feeling is that the front serrations, which are very sharp, are holding it back, assuming the fit should be that snug to begin with. Is this the norm, do they require a certain amount of use before the pistol can be holstered and unholstered smoothly? Or should I go to a different design for the Baer, and just use this for the Hi-Power? (I had originally hoped to use it for both, but as a Newbie, what do I know?)
Thanks, Ed

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Is your 55BN crafted to fit the BHP or 1911?

Some holsters manufacturers will fit both on a limited basis but not Sparks.
Sparks makes unique holster fits for the BHP and 1911. There is even a difference between fits for the 9mm and .40SW BHP. Yes serrations can be a problem but the real culprit might be trying to fit a 1911 in a holster made for the BHP.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BN55 for 1911

I was told it was a 1911, and it is stamped '1911' on the back side. It is horsehide with shark trim, in black.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
If your Premier II model is a 5" model and the 55BNH is made for the 5" model 1911 then it may take some break in to give a smooth draw. Check out the Milt Sparks website www.miltsparks.com and read how to "block" your holster.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blocking in

Thanks, it is "in the bag" right now, so to speak, blocking out. How long should I leave it in there, overnight OK?
Another reason not to like front slide serrations, before it was just because I thought they didn't look good...now i have a better reason...
I am amazed at how stiff this leather is, including my belt, a real eye opener.

·
Super Moderator
13,555 Posts
Be careful not to over block it. Try do it for let's say 4 hrs, then try the gun in it. You would want to have a little tight fit, in time and with usage the holster will get looser. Over blocking it early on will cause the holster to loosen too much a couple years down the road. Then you'll have to send it back to Tony to have him remold it. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts