1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
member Silverquick mentioned he liked HK's mag release position on the trigger guard

i do too.
matter of fact, i think it's better mousetrap in general .
and wish it was the standard rather than the button that most all manufactures use.

you??

..L.T.A.

·
Administrator
73,106 Posts
I have a Walther PPQ M2 with the US-style mag release, and honestly I'm wishing I'd bought the M1 with the paddle release instead. The paddle is really fast once you get used to it and doesn't have the same problems with inadvertent release.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I have mixed emotions about this.

I have an H&K USP Compact. I like the mag catch and how it works. I especially like the ambidextrous aspect of it. However, I'm used to the button and can work it better.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have a walther pps with the paddle style - I like it and it is quick and easy once I practiced for a day with it. I actually think I would like the paddle more on full size pistols and the button on sub compacts.

WIth the size of the grips on the sub compacts and the size of my hands, the button would be in the perfect spot, whereas the paddle is almost too close. And on compact double stack to full size guns, I almost always have to subtly adjust my grip to depress the button whereas the paddle would be perfect.

I do really like the ambidextrous ease of use for my offhand.

In either case, with practice both seem very natural and neither style would make me choose one pistol over another.

I have never had a pistol where i came close to accidentally releasing a button style pistol (AFAIK)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a HK P30 with the paddles. When I first bought it I guess I would place my right thumb in the wrong place and the recoil would make my thumb hit the paddle release and eject the mag. After carefully looking into it I realized my grip was wrong for that particular gun and after I switched to a different grip (right thumb on top of the left thumb) it never happened again. Took me a little while to get to the bottom of the issue though.
So inadvertent mag release is a real thing with those paddles as per my experience especially with certain grip techniques. Never had accidental release with any of my other guns, Glocks, 1911's, Rugers.
Just my $0.02.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts