1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been interested in getting a look at a Colt 'Special Combat Gov't Competition' model, but havn't seen one in my local gun shops (Puget Sound, WA area). I would appreciate hearing from both current owners of a late model, and from anyone who has seen one in a gun shop, and can relate their impression of this pistol. If you've seen one in a gun shop, how much was the asking price? Does the two types of steel used look good or bad? Is there another version or model coming out I should know about, before purchasing this model? Thanks!

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've been searching for one also. There is an older two tone one at one of our dealers (was in the owners collection and he decided to sell it). It has been handled and has a few scratches on it. They're asking $1199 for it. I've looked at it several times but just am not sure that particular gun is worth $1199. I can't seem to find any for sale on the auction sites. There is a post on this forum that stated someone called Colt recently and Colt said they were currently making a run of them. Don't know if it's the two tone, hard chromed or what. I think there's the competition model and some other also. Sorry to be so vague but info is rather scarce. I have a NIB (small hard case enclosed in a "printed" Colt cardboard box) 1980ish bright stainless Mark IV Series 80 government sitting in my safe to trade in on a Special Combat Government if I can ever find one (stainless is my choice over two-tone). I hate to get rid of my gorgeous Bright SS government since it was hard to find also but.....

Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There's a place called Ben's Loan in downtown Renton that had 'bout half a dozen Colts last time I was in.They had what I think you are looking for.It wasn't a GoldCup,but had trick sights and trigger,hammer, ect.I'm pretty sure it said Special Combat somthin or other,I didn't look real close cause it was $1100+.The guy working said it was slightly used.This gun was a very nice blued color very pretty gun.Might want to look up the phone# and ask if thats what they've got.

Hope this helps,Byron

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, QB..perhaps in the near future, they will start filtering into our local gunshops. Like you, I would probably prefer all-SS, but am wondering what the two-tone looks like.
Byron..guess what? I saw the pistol you are talking about at Bens' in Renton (WA). It was a Combat Gov't in blue, but it was used, like you said. The salesman said this had a different barrol in it, because the stock barrol was 'bulged' by the original owner. Nuff said..I'm WAY too fussy about my firearms (my Colts in particular) to take a chance on it. The price as I recall was about 1199.00. Anyway, I would rather buy new, unless I knew and trusted the original owner (and the pistol was 100%).
Thanks to you both! I'll let you know when I finally stumble across one.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
The Special Combat Government is the only ideological explanation. For me not having a Wilson. Being it is the blood and guts of a Colt 1911. And I want one so bad I just peed my pants.

·
Registered
118 Posts
So, what's the deal. Has anyone heard if the Special Combat Competition is in the distribution pipeline? I know that just because it's on the Colt website doesn't mean a gun's debut is eminent, but hope springs eternal. Can Cindy weigh in on this?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I talked to Colt the other day, and was told it was unlikely that there were any of these pistols in the pipeline right now. Colt said it expected to start shipping some in the Dec-Jan time frame. Didn't ask how many they were going to build. Thinking of placing an order, but these are expensive. (Still, I WANT one...). Cindy from Colt...do you know anything additional on the subject? Thanks to all

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just an update,that blued Special Combat at Ben's Loan in Renton was sold(right before my eyes LOL) for $1000.It did have a very pretty finish.Not quite sure what having a "bulge in the barrel" means,but it doesn't sound too good.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure how someone can bulge a pistol barrel, but I gotta believe if that story was true, the original owner was subjecting the pistol to something other than quality ammo, or allowed a blockage of some sort-hell, I don't know. All I really know for sure is that I have shot pistols and rifles and shotguns for years, both factory ammo and my reloads, and have NEVER had a problem like that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had a Special Combat Government Competition( bought gently used) that was the hard chromed target model. The test target that came with the pistol was a disapointment compared with Wilsons. The pistol wasn't that tight. I wrote about it on this site and someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Bought a Wilson and I haven't looked back.(except for a small twinge every now and then)

David

·
Registered
118 Posts
Two local dealers refused to order a Special Gov. Competition (or any Colt) saying Colt was not producing anything for the civilian market etc... So I called Colt and customer service tells me to find a new dealer. They are making them in runs and are waiting for orders to collect to justify the run. Can anyone recommend a Virginia dealer that will honestly submit an order for me and follow through without just keeping a deposit for eternity? Preferably, eastern Virginia. This is a well-appointed Colt and I want to make it happen - not just drive the state waiting to get lucky. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try Jim Jarrett, owner of Patriot Services here in Richmond. (804) 272-6748.

He generally charges only $25 to $50 over his cost for pistols he orders. Example - he sold me one of the new 1911A1's for $850.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My local shop has one (2-tone) new, $1500-$1600 I think. Looks nice but in my opinion slide fit and trigger pull didnt seem much better than the m1991 I have. I'd still get though.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
My first post on this forum. I am the one that purchased the " Special Combat" from Bens in Renton Wa. It came with paper work stating it is a"1 of 500". It was produced from the custom shop in 1989. They were produced for Valley gun distributors in Calif. The factory barrel was in fact bulged and replaced with an Ed Brown match barrel. Since purchasing it, I have added old style Heine sights,Ed Brown beavertail,& tactical thumb safety.I thought at the time the price was high but after shooting it and fondling it I have no regrets.It has become my favorite 1911.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well, I guess I'll follow E5MC's first post with my first post. I also have one of the 1 in 500 Special Combats. Bought it in 1989 along with a Stainless Delta Elite, $1200 for the both of them. Kept it in the safe for years for the Collector's value, then one day said, "the hell with it" and started shooting it. Don't know what the collector's value is on it now, but it sure shoots nice.

On the barrel bulging: I actually saw that many years ago. I had a dimwit Brother in Law who never paid much attention while reloading. He had a squib go off, then followed it with another round. I was there and watched the pistol recoil up above his head. He field stripped the pistol (a 70 series Combat Commander) to find the bulged barrel. He bought a new barrel for I think $30 at the time, and the pistol shot like nothing ever happened to it. There are a lot of other, weaker pistols I think I wouldn't have wanted to be standing around when he pulled that stunt!

Ben

PS -- I only found this forum a few weeks ago and I think it's great! Lots of really good discussion and info.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I was in my local shop last night to look at a Colt he told me about that he had just got in. On the side it said "Colt Special Combat Govt." It was 2 tone, had an extended mag well, wide trigger, and really lokked nice. I handled it and was very disappointed in the slide to frame fit. It was not sloppy or anything but the slide was loose. The asking price was 1549. The stainless part looked kinda goldish, not really a true stainless look. Still it was a beautiful piece.
I was saddened when I fooled with it because of the slide fit. For that kind of money I would expect them to have better Quality Control than that. I compared it to a Kimber right next to it and the Kimber was a lot tighter.
I would love to own a new Colt but I won't get taken with the stuff they are rolling out now until they fix the problems that they have.

Nala

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had a Special Combat Gov't about four years ago. It was hard-chromed and absolutely gorgeous. The gun was accurate, reliable, and the trigger was to die for. Unfortunately, I also had a mental wife (now ex)whose main problem was financial. Away went the Special Combat. I cried when the gun went away...didn't when the wife did. Oh well. I have been looking for a Special Combat since. A Wilson is in the cards for me, but I would snatch up a Special Combat in a heartbeat. I may even agree that it may not be the most gun for the money or that a Wilson, Les Baer, etc. is probably better, but I have a soft spot for Custom Shop Colts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts