1911Forum banner

Special Combat not so Spl

2755 Views 25 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  chip p
Ok gang I just picked up my new Special Combat from my FFL found this baby on Gun Broke new unfired....Its 45 ACP in Hard Chrome all I can say is WOW what a good looking gun could not wait to shoot her .......Got her home to get ready to rock & roll and then WOW went to WHAT THE *^%*&*^ I started looking this thing over really good bad move ......This is a Custom Shop gun?????? My god paid $1350 for this thing......The front and rear sight's have nicks and scratch from being installed........The ambidextrous safety when operated from the right side does not disengage properly. It sticks and hangs up. Since I am left-handed this is a very big issue...........The flair on the injection port has bad showing tool marks..........The polished finish on the slide and the matt finish are not uniformed. The matt finish is bleeding over into the polished areas of the slide......Right side of the slide between the injection port and front of the barrel has sand scratches under the hard chrome that can be seen......... If this type quality were what I wanted, I would have bought a Auto Ordnance or Charles Daly.........So now its time to call Colt and try and get this thing fixed ..Oh yeah the test target that came with the gun was 4-15-05 Oh no a FRIDAY GUN
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,403 Posts
Send it back. I can't believe QC is more expensive than shipping and repair, but that's what a customer service department is for.

· Registered
1,088 Posts
I have a handful of Colt's and there are a few more I'd like to add to the list but when I look at new ones in shops around here (Denver), the list of QC slips is more than I'm willing to put up with. Would you buy a brand new car if you had to send it straight back to the factory prior to even driving it?! -on the mere notion that car maker XYZ had "great customer service"?

Maybe if I revisit this issue in a few years they'll have the problems worked out. A person can hope, right??

· Registered
619 Posts
Well I guess anything is possible, send it in, I will take a look at it. The SCG is finish machined, built and test fired by one person and one person only. He is an outstanding gunsmith and will not let junk off of his bench. I am real curious about this one. Call the good folks in Customer service, when you send it in, please include a note attn: Mark Roberts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there Mark1648 thanks for the feed back...... I will be calling customer service today as i got this for myself for Christmas and Colt was closed for the hoildays....If i could ask what is your roll at Colt????? I will send a note and attn; it to you.........I'm not saying this gun is junk it just has some problems ..... I have XSE that is just super.........

· Banned
4,085 Posts
I've got two SCG's, one hard chrome, one blue/nickle combo... both are exceptional pistols. Just wish Colt would make the SCG in an alternate version also: with Novak combat night sights!!! That would be the gun the Gunsite shoulda been.

· Registered
1,273 Posts
I have had a blue-nickel combo SCG for several years that I don't shoot enough because it doesn't have a checkered front strap.

It is extremely accurate, but I really don't like the satin nickel.

I am thinking about sending it to Tripp's to get the strap checkered and HC'ed.

I bought a Colt Gunsite SS Model about the same time (a few years ago), and the QC on it was similarly on the money.

Hope you get your quality issues satisfactorily resolved.

Keep us posted.

· Registered
18 Posts
Chip-P,
I too have an SCG that could be a might better. Maybe there are just a few "less great" SCG's out there. Mine has the same melding of matte/polished finish, without a distinct, straight line between the two. It functions well, and shoots like a dream - but not to point of aim. I bought it second hand and so I'll just live with it. The bomar rear sight appears to be slightly unlevel, and I have had to move the rear sight way up and to the right to get it to shoot to point of aim. It does, but still is seemingly out of perfect alignment. I first thought the bomar was the problem, but it appears that the rear sight dovetail is just shy of square on the slide. Frame also rubs a tiny spot on the underside of the slide. I thought the slide may be misaligned, as I have read, but does not appear this way upon inspection. No tool marks, scratches, etc., but something about the gun says it's not quite right. I agree these problems shouldn't occur on a $12-1400 gun, but maybe these few questionable ones are inevitable - everyone has off days. These guns are sexy, yes, but for about the same money my Les Baer Supertac is flawless - I can find nothing wrong with it and believe me I look hard.

Mark1648,
First of all thanks for all you do. Second, do you know the accuracy requirements of a SCG before it leaves the shop? I see many test targets with them, but would like to know what the standard is. To attest to my sight problems, the test target included with the gun shows a tiny group low and left of the bull. Thanks.

· Registered
622 Posts
I have 6 SCGCs....two are .45s and 4 are .38 supers. No problems thankfully....here's the targets for three of my .38 supers....and let me tell you....they are indeed accurate and just a pleasure to shoot. Sorry to hear that some of you are having some problems with your SCGSs and hope that Colt gets it all worked out for you.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
chip p, I'll post a picture of mine if you'll post a picture of yours. I really would like to see all those problems. I have had the opportunity to inspect several SCGs and I've never seen one that bad.

· Registered
74 Posts
I'd like to say I love my new SGCS in 38 Super, but I can't… its back at Colt with a feeding problem. It does not have any finish problems, it's finish is nice. It just will not feed factory ammo as it should. The bullet head just feeds flush against the feed ramp and hangs the slide up. This happens 2 or 3 out of 8.
I would love to be shooting it, instead of just waiting.

· Registered
289 Posts
Chip P, I hope you get this sorted out. I am sure that Mark will make sure that you are happy!

I am planning on buying a Colt Combat Commander around my birthday.
Seeing Mark on here and seeing that people are getting their guns sorted out
by the customer service dept. I have NO hesitation in putting my money down on a new Colt.

Thanks, Mark!!! :rock:

· Registered
98 Posts
My SCG in hard chrome is the most accurate pistol I own but the fit and finish aren't what I would expect of a gun that sells for as much as it does.
The slide to frame fit has "combat tolerances", which I can live with. It is the lateral play in the beavertail that I cannot understand.:scratch:

· Registered
338 Posts
Have to hand it to Mark and Colt....

I doubt representatives from MIMber are online talking directly to customers. With this attitude, Colt will very quickly reclaim its rightful place at the top.
Nice work.

Rhett

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.