1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my understanding that commander models such as this have a full size frame and can therefore accept full size government model magazines. Is this true?

Any other opinions on this pistol in general?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
It is my understanding that commander models such as this have a full size frame and can therefore accept full size government model magazines. Is this true?

Thanks.
Yes. It is a full sized grip just like a full sized 1911.

I LOVE my commander sized Brown. I have the Kobra Carry and it's one awesome piece. I carry it daily...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Nice pistol!

Hey Nuland, as I see this was your first post, welcome to the forum! :) I have a friend that has a SFC model and I got to shoot it for the first time a few days ago. I loved it. You may or may not know, but between the 3 Carry models / commander length that EB offers all of the internals are the same. As for the exteriors of the pistols I know you are aware the patterns on the grips and the cocking serrations are different. I have read some concerns on the forum that the SFC chainlink may not be grippable enough for them and that may be true for certain individual shooters, but I fired about 30 rounds thru my friends and had no grip issues at all. I am waiting on a KC model to arrive now, but I would have no qualms about owning a SF model. If possible, handle all 3 patterns before purchasing one, but as everyone has told me on here you'll enjoy whatever EB you buy. Good luck. :)
Sincerely,

PastorDW

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
I typically carry either my Wilson Sentinel or Professional LW (4”) bobtail… though I’ve had a EB SF for some time and have really enjoyed shooting it – I’ve stayed for the most part with the LW alloy frames for daily carry. About a month ago I sent my Professional bobtail to Cogan for hard-chrome and my main carry Sentinel to RoBar for NP3 – so I started carrying the EB SF for my normal daily carry while these were being refinished.

I have been really pleasantly surprised that the all-steel frame of the EB SF hasn’t really been that noticeable during daily carry (and I messed my back up years ago)… I picked up a Galco daily wear gunbelt about a month ago and I’ve found that a good belt/holster seems to make the biggest difference in how comfortable daily carry can be for me. I wouldn’t have any trouble using the EB SF for daily carry… it is a perfect size.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Yes...the control surfaces part of a commander is identical to a government model. Same grip length, etc.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the helpful information. My interest in the Special Forces Carry is that I am looking for a commander length bobtail 1911. Apparently Dan Wesson also fits this category. Is the price difference between the two warranted?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't own a Dan Wesson, have never fired one, and therefore cannot comment on it being worth its price.

I have owned several Colt 1911s and I own one Ed Brown, a 5" SF. I will tell you the EB is worth every penny paid due to precision machining, attention to detail in fitting and finish. I studied for quite a while before I paid that much for a pistol and from myperspective, the EB is the best value and worth its cost.

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and the helpful information. My interest in the Special Forces Carry is that I am looking for a commander length bobtail 1911. Apparently Dan Wesson also fits this category. Is the price difference between the two warranted?
Folks who talk themselves into believing that they can get all the gun for half the price are kidding themselves. Wesson’s are nice guns but they are comparable to Kimber, and some of the basic model STI's. Nothing wrong with them, but not in the same league as the Browns IMO. From what I understand Wesson are wandering a little further up the ladder with their 2010 models, and I think that they are certainly worth a look. Just don't expect a $2500 pistol for half the money.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I've never owned a Dan Wesson 1911, but I have owned Kimbers, Colts, Springfields etc etc ..........Those others aren't in the same class as my Ed Brown Special Forces.

You get what you pay for...........IMO

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you plan on spending 1000 to 1300 on a pistol of dubious circumstance, might as well safe a few more and get it right.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
I believe it is, otherwise I wouldn't own 7 Ed Brown pistols. But it isn't an all or nothing conversation. What I like is gold and what you like is crap, kind of thing.

But to be completely honest, the differences between an Ed Brown pistol and any production 1911 pistol are only going to be mostly enjoyed and noticed by a 1911 aficionado and not your average user.

A good example would be Kimber. They do the best they can within their price-points. They make some fine 1911s with lots of features. But the curve from production to semi-custom can be quite steep in price but also in parts and fitting.

Don't buy a Brown if you are not a 1911 guy. There is no need, other than pride of ownership at that point. Unless you experience what you don't want how are you know to ever appreciate what you do want? At least wait to fondle some of these weapons in a shop first.

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
1,670 Posts

Thanks.
The Commander's grip area is the same size, but the dust cover is shorter - so it's not exactly the same. But as far as grips & magazines go, one size will fit the other.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I have a Brown Special Forces Carry and just recently purchased a Dan Wesson CBOB. I think the DW is the best buy for the money right now. I was impressed enough with the DW to actually sit down and compare it to my Brown. You can tell the difference when you do this. The DW is a solid gun but, it is not as nice as my Brown. Is the Brown worth twice as much money? That really depends on you. Are you satisfied with a Toyota Camry or do you want to step up to a Lexus? For some the answer is yes, it's worth the money. For others, the answer is no. I can get a good, dependable car (or gun) at much less money.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts

Thanks.

Other opinions on this pistol in general: On average, over the life of the pistol, the Commander will take more maintenance to keep at 100% than the full size. The Commander points better and is materially as accurate as the full size with slightly more recoil.

Comparing products on internet forums tends to open up a fur ball of a fight. I would rather say what I like about Ed Brown. Mine have been stone, cold reliable. I can only remember one failure to feed. They are accurate. Ed Brown has quickly fixed the one when I had a problem and has let me customize them to the extent I personally want.

To me, buying a self defense pistol is like chartering a small plane, do you want to pay for two pilots or one? Single or twin?

Regards,

Craig

·
Registered
638 Posts
Many wise words have already been spoken so I won't respond to each thing that caught my eye.

However, I will recount my experience up the 1911 ladder. I discovered 1911s about a year ago or so. I started with a Kimber ... like most everyone. It was a great pistol ... for the money. I bought a second Kimber. Within short time I started reading raves about the DW CBOB and had to have one of those too.

Personally my CBOB was so great I sold the Kimber Pro I had as I no longer shot or carried it. My CBOB was awesome but eventually I handled a friends Ed Brown and decided since I was sold on the 1911 platform it was worth the investment to get something as nice as the EB. I knew once it arrived I would have no further need/want/desire for the CBOB ... as good as it was ... so I sold it to pay off my crack dealer George Talia. Those that do business with MIGunslingers will know why I jokingly call him a crack dealer. He gets you addicted and you can't stop going back.

I have never once regretted selling my Kimbers (both of them) and my CBOB. I would rather have 1 EB than all 3 of them. Do I think the EB is worth the $ difference ? I think so.

I just ordered a second EB last week ... a SF Carry Bobtail in SS. I have to replace the CBOB. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nuland:

As stated many times over, you can't(+/-) go wrong with a Brown. You don't need to be a "1911 guy" to appreciate a exceptionally built 1911, just like you don't need to be a "car guy" to appreciate any well built car, a "wine guy" to appreciate a good Cab, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Are Browns the "be all end all," probably not, but close, and if you can afford one, go for it, you won't be disappointed....and here's a ++1 for buying one from George, unless you're in Michigan, like me, and have to pay the sales tax......!

Good luck, you'll find a ton of good info on this site if you need it.

Mauser

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I love it!

Nuland:

As stated many times over, you can't(+/-) go wrong with a Brown. You don't need to be a "1911 guy" to appreciate a exceptionally built 1911, just like you don't need to be a "car guy" to appreciate any well built car, a "wine guy" to appreciate a good Cab, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Are Browns the "be all end all," probably not, but close, and if you can afford one, go for it, you won't be disappointed....and here's a ++1 for buying one from George, unless you're in Michigan, like me, and have to pay the sales tax......!

Good luck, you'll find a ton of good info on this site if you need it.

Mauser
Mauser, I like, no I love the way you think brother. :rock: This is an exellent response to a person wondering whether or not to take the plunge into deeper quality. Until a year ago I was "clueless" concerning EB pistols and people like you and many others on this forum have been a blessing to me. And a big Amen to dealing with George at Gunslingers!

Thanks, :)

PastorDW

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I currently have several 1911's ..... but once you pick up an Ed Brown, you immediatley realize what a precision piece of work they are.
I have the Massad Ayoob Signature edition, and it's been the perfect handgun. Balance and tolerance levels on this pistol are phenomenal. :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mauser, I like, no I love the way you think brother. :rock: This is an exellent response to a person wondering whether or not to take the plunge into deeper quality. Until a year ago I was "clueless" concerning EB pistols and people like you and many others on this forum have been a blessing to me. And a big Amen to dealing with George at Gunslingers!

Thanks, :)

PastorDW

I usually don't post much of any substance here, Pastor, but if I've helped at all, you're welcome...this one was a nobrainer....

A happy Thanksgiving to all board members....we certainly have a lot to be thankful for in this great country!

Mauser

1 - 20 of 31 Posts