1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be looking at getting my first Ed Brown, and was wondering if the Special Forces was the way to go....I currently have a Les Baer and a Kimber....I have to admit that many of the Brown models have caught my eye...could someone give me an idea of the differences in the Brown compared to my my Baer?

·
Registered
343 Posts
All EBs are made to the same specs. Unlike Wilson, for example, EB does not have two different grades of barrel, etc. The only difference between Browns is finish and detailing, blue, Gen III, stainless, checkering vs snakeskin etc.

The good news is that whatever Brown you buy will be the best made, best shooting model he makes. If you like the SF and its chainlink (I do), get that. Note that he also has the SF with a light rail a in stainless with the Gen III finish. He also has SF in Commander length available, with or without a bobtail.

Be warned, Browns are addictive, and late at night you can hear them in the safe saying, "Shoot me, shoot me, shoot me."

·
Registered
228 Posts
Love My SF Commander

It is one of my favorite ( I have four) Browns. :biglaugh:

PS: Gen III coating w/o Bobtail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
new SF

I purchased a new SF Friday and shot it for the first time today. I was skeptical because the bushing was not really tight. I was all ready to have my gunny make a tighter one. Everything about the weapon is amazing. No bullcrap written all over the slide. Just a tasteful, beautiful .45. It locks up tight. I was just concerned about the bushing. I picked up a Les Baer Friday when I was purchasing the SF and noticed that you had to pull the slide back into battery. That was what I was hoping for on the SF. After reading several forums all night and worrying the the barrel would not lock up tight enough I realized that Ed Brown constructs his guns that way so I decided to shoot is instead of be concerned. It is at least a 1 1/2 inch twenty five yard weapon and probably a one inch in the right hands. I had one group with four in one, one inch ragged hole off a sand bag. I am delighted and have decided to let the craftsman make his guns the way he wants. I could not be happier! I love the way the finish (Gen III) looks and everything about the gun. It shoots three inches high with the Trijicon sights. I'll just replace the front sight with a taller one. Get one, you'll love it.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The SF is the most interesting EB to me as well. A truly "no frills" basic well-made 1911. It reminds me of the Colts from the old days. I'm really thinking of ordering one. I figure I need to relegate my Wilson to jacketed bullets and buy another custom jobber to shoot cast lead through. That's solid logic, ain't it?:)

After all, I did purchase a stainless Commander just because I couldn't bear to think of using my blued Wilson during the sweaty summer months with an IWB holster.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
I was skeptical because the bushing was not really tight.
One of Ed Brown's mottos is, "It doesn't have to be tight, it just has to be right."

I have one EB (Special Forces) and love it. I hope to get the Kobra Karry a little later.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You didn't say which Baer you owned but I think the >

difference is that the Ed Brown probably receives a bit more personal attention and hand fitting/finishing time. Both are quality pistols, but I like the fact that the Browns are not fitted so tight as to need a break-in period before you can manipulate them.

I've got Wilson's :( , Kimbers, S&W's, Colts, and other custom 1911's, but the Ed Brown has the smoothest lines and finishing, and feels the best in my hands. I like the chain link on the front strap and the pistol runs like a champ, and I've fed it some of everything I own without it missing a beat. Can't go wrong with the SF IMHO.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Special Forces Availability

If you're considering a Special Force,which is my preference,order soon,after the Shot Show they will be in great demand..

·
Registered
415 Posts
I own a bunch of Baers all have the 1 1/2" ... my Ed Brown ET can hang with the Baers. I want to get a 5" Kobra some time down the line, I love my Baers but also feel the same about Ed Browns 1911's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts