1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I only have full size and officer size 1911's. Second, I have a back problem that is made much worse by wearing a belt or other holter on my strong side. I sometimes solve the problem with a fanny pack that doesn't scream GUN!!! but it still kind of does. I have been around for awhile, was a cop for six years then moved on to another area of law (no lawyer jokes, please). I know all of the downsides of cross-draw but it is really the only comfortable solution and really isn't so bad because I'm usually sitting anyway. So does anyone know of a cross-draw holster, preferably with a significant cant to the front that could be worn just off center.

Bob

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
Bob, I've felt your pain (literally!)

If you can't carry around your waist, I'd skip the crossdraw, too. As much as I dislike them, I'd recommend a horizontal shoulder rig, with spare magazine pouches on the off side. Let your shoulders bear the load.

I ALWAYS carry on my belt strong side, just behind the hip. As a result, I was lost when, while I was recovering from a surgery to remove my right kidney, my doctor ordered me to STOP carrying my pistol on my belt; I was putting excessive strain on the healing incision. My only recourse, for a couple of months, was to wear a my issued Glock 22 in an old Rogers/Safariland horizontal shoulder rig. I don't like shoulder rigs, and the Glock is slightly too fat for my hand, but what hurt the worst was not being able to carry my 1911 or my just-acquired HK P7.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

[This message has been edited by KSLawman (edited 09-12-2001).]

·
Registered
660 Posts
Guys I do have sympathy for you!

I know it does stink to have back problems while trying to carry a handgun!
Over the last several years I have done back exercises every morning so that I can continue to wear my pistol, mags, ect.

Every once in a great while, I too have to wear a shoulder rig. Not the best set-up, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

If you do have to go with one, get it with as wide shoulder straps as you can find. It helps distribute the load better I my opinion.

As for a cross-draw, not a totally bad deal. I just hope you don't much of a gut up front. That can make it hard to keep your hadgun concealed.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Back problems, uggghh! almost two years back I had back surgery. a complete success. The secret? Build your stomach muscles up. They support your back. At work I carry a tool pouch on my strong side, not as heavy as a gun, just a mini-mag lite and a Gerber and a few video connectors and a tweaker. But it was enough to cause problems. But only when I slacked up on my exercises.

·
Registered
696 Posts
ocbizlaw,

I can't recommend a holster but I have used a belt-mounted one-shot camera pouch, light blue, Minolta patch, that doesn't scream 'GUN', on my weak side. Sewed elastic on the outside to hold a couple of 35-mm film containers for added camouflage.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You can find some IWB holsters with a leather tab that secures to the belt rather than a clip. The tabs on some of these swivel. Some of the swivels can be secured in position. If you go the IWB route, make sure the pants fit both you and the gun.

IWB allows the pants to support the gun, and draws it up close to the body where it is beter balanced. With the IWB rigs I have, I can put them anywhere I like on the belt. From cross draw at 11 oclock to strong side, off the hip strong side, or small of back. That's a nice option to have for different clothing choices.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. Just curious, though. Why the resistance to cross-draw belt holsters when shoulder holster is also cross draw but looks to me like it requires a two hand draw. Really, just curious.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
Bob,
The Sparks holsters I recommended are, when made with a muzzle forward cant, set up for crossdraw use. There is nothing wrong with crossdraw. It requires some practice to avoid muzzling one's support hand and it is not as concealable if one's covering garment flaps open, but it can work well. Crossdraw provides great access while seated and excellent access for a weak-hand draw.

IDPA prohibits crossdraws and this mode has fallen out of fashion, but it works and works well.

Rosco

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> ocbizlaw, if you try a Strike back from www.waldonholsters.com, I think you might find that it fits your needs. It can be worn at the 2:30 position, and drawn from a seated posture. It offers a full combat grip at first contact. It also can be worn at the 3:00, or 3:30 position, and be quite comfortable and concealable, and fast to draw from.
-------------------
Raspy

·
Registered
322 Posts
Another suggestion: McDaniel II Crossdraw from Andrews Leather. The same holster can actually be configured as a strong side by simply moving the loop. It also comes with an option for a "bodyshield", and you can get different sized and color loops. All in all a very versatile setup. I have one and it is a first-rate holster.
www.andrewsleather.com

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with them except as a satisfied customer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts