1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am under the impression that some companies (Colt, Wilson) use a dedicated slide stop for their 9mm/38 super 1911's, while most other companies just use the 'stock' 45ACP slide stop for their 9mm/38 super guns?

Is there a substantial difference betweem the two types? I have a Colt Series 708 in 9mm and a Sistema Colt 45ACP and I do not see a substnatial difference in the two slide stops(?)

·
Registered
100 Posts
The part of the slide stop that hits the follower on the magazines is a bit wider on 45acp. Ive never tried a 9mm stop in a 45 or vise versa.
If you were putting a 45 stop in a 9mm you might need to do just a bit of fitting.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,344 Posts
The smaller the caliber, the deeper the slide stop has to reach into the magwell. I have modified a Super slide stop to work in a .45, by removing material, so I don't think it will work the other way.

·
Banned
28 Posts
How big of a difference is there between them?

I've got 2 9mms and what I might believe to be a .45 and to see any difference in depth into the mag well, I just about need calipers.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It will also work using a .45 slide stop on a .38 super, however you may encounter problems with the magazine follower not pushing up on the slide stop when the mag is empty. You have have pick and choose the right magazine.

I have a .38 super that I built on a Olympic Arms frame with Caspian Arms stainless slide and I wanted an extended slide release but no one makes it for a super, I looked around for the best magazine follower / slide stop fit. I found that Mec-Gar is the best to use.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
The smaller the caliber, the deeper the slide stop has to reach into the magwell. I have modified a Super slide stop to work in a .45, by removing material, so I don't think it will work the other way.

Spot on as usual.
The super / 9mm turns out to be about .020 deeper into the mag well than the 45.

Colt uses number on the inside to deleniate the slide stops.
1 is for 45 it sticks in .200
2 is for the 22 ace.
3 is for super and 9mm in reaches in .220
4 is for 10mm / 40

Springfield stamps 9 on the inside of there 9mm slide stop.

We just started making slide stops last week.
Machined from bar stock so we were doing research on them.
We saw a need for a traditional looking slide stop for 9mm and Supers.

thank you
geo

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Geo..

good to hear from you..its good to know you are developing a 9mm/38 slidestop. hard to find quality caliber specific parts..

·
Registered
285 Posts
It will also work using a .45 slide stop on a .38 super, however you may encounter problems with the magazine follower not pushing up on the slide stop when the mag is empty. You have have pick and choose the right magazine.

I have a .38 super that I built on a Olympic Arms frame with Caspian Arms stainless slide and I wanted an extended slide release but no one makes it for a super, I looked around for the best magazine follower / slide stop fit. I found that Mec-Gar is the best to use.
Wilson Combat makes them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts