1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5 years ago I attempted to simulate the local police service ammunition.
This would be Speer 9mm 124 grain Gold Dot Hollow Points.
I just recently stumbled upon a few boxes of ammo so I thought I would analyze this batch and see how it compares with the ammo I tested 5 years ago.
Additionally, I stumbled across a thousand genuine Speer bullets (projectiles) so now I càn simulate the ammo with a higher degree of authenticity.
---
I fired 7 rounds across the Chrono.
The result was surprisingly good.
Factory spec is 1150 fps
My test yielded 1151 fps with a standard deviation of 13.
The test gun was a Glock 17 with an aftermarket match bbl.
It is the same length as a stock bbl but has conventional rifling.
---

The specs are:
OAL=1.124"
Mouth dia= 0.375
Powder= 5.8 gr. fine grain flat ball
Sealer= yes
Bullet weight= 124.6 gr.
Bullet dia.=0.355"
Bullet length=0.561"
-----

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you are a newbie to handgunning, you may wonder why this thread is important.

Some people go out and buy a pistol and some cheap round nose ammo and go shooting with that.
But then they would go home and load the gun with hollow point ammo for home defense.

An analogy would be if you are training for a marathon and running every day with your comfy old Adidas shoes.
Then on race day you put on a new pair of Nike running shoes and hit the road...... It might work. It might not.

In the case of this ammo, Genuine Speer Gold Dot ammo costs an arm and a leg.... if you can even find any. (eg. $50 for 20 rounds)
But to make sure your home defense pistol will feed and function reliably when you need it most, the ideal thing to do would be to test it with the actual ammo.
If you can't find or afford to burn hundreds of dollars for practice ammo, then using this information is the next best thing.
Using this info will allow you to create a pretty close replica of the real thing....and it won't cost too much.
So you can afford to practice and see if your gun will feed and function reliably.
Cost??? factoring in high prices for primers, I estimate the cost per 50 round box at $12.00

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flechero told me about these bullets a few weeks ago.
I grabbed some. They are pulled bullets so they have some blemishes.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the past, I noticed that 9mm can be finicky with brass.
So I loaded 2 batches. One batch with BLAZER brass and one batch with WIN brass.
I wanted to see if it would make much difference.
Here are the specs on the test loads:

Speer 124 gr GDHP (pulled)
5.5 gr. CFE pistol
Fed100 primers
OAL= 1.12"
Taper= 0.375

Chronograph results 11/7/2021:
Test gun was a G17 with an aftermarket bbl.(cut rifling)
BLAZER cases= av. 1154 fps SD=8
WIN cases= av. 1164 fps SD=11
(note: factory ammo clocked 1151 so this is pretty darn close)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Accuracy impressions:
Testing was from the bench at 25 yds.
I think the BLAZER cases produced tighter groups, but I got fliers.
I fired 2 each 5shot strings and got 2 fliers. The rest of the 8 rounds grouped about 2-1/2 inches.

The group with the WIN brass was not quite as good but not horrible.
Point of impact was approximately the same.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Final thoughts:

POWDER CHARGE:
If you can find primers, you can create your own realistic defensive-practice ammo at pretty low cost.
Since the test rounds actually exceeded the speed of factory GD ammo, I would probably drop the powder charge to 5.4 cfe because that is what I used in the past with good results.

COST FACTOR:
The cost to make your own 9mm defense-practice ammo would be somewhere around $10 to $12 per box of 50 rounds depending largely on the cost of primers.
The going price for the genuine factory ammo is about $40 for 20 rounds. (midway)

AVAILABILITY:
The bullets I found are speer gold dot bullets pulled from factory ammo and resold.
However a bullet with a similar weight and shape is the Extreme plated 124 HP.
You can order the bullets from various vendors like Cabelas or Sages at a fairly reasonable price.
In the past, I loaded these with very similar results.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Since the test rounds actually exceeded the speed of factory GD ammo
A difference of 3 fps and with a SD of 8- I wouldn't change it! I'd shoot it from another gun to see if you got a tighter group. The only change I would make if I had those (and still thinking I should have bought them too) would be to load it with Silhouette- which has been phenomenal for me in everything I've tried, for both velocity and accuracy.

Thanks for posting up the details, a cool project! Glad the projo's worked out for you. (they are currently running a 25%off sale if you need other stuff)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Flechero told me about these bullets a few weeks ago.
I grabbed some. They are pulled bullets so they have some blemishes.
I was about to mention buying pulled bullets, and see you already have it solved. I purchased a nice quantity of pulled 185 gr. 45acp. Using BE-86 powder, I'm clocking over 1,100 fps, and they are not a maximum load.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you are a newbie to handgunning, you may wonder why this thread is important.

Some people go out and buy a pistol and some cheap round nose ammo and go shooting with that.
But then they would go home and load the gun with hollow point ammo for home defense.

An analogy would be if you are training for a marathon and running every day with your comfy old Adidas shoes.
Then on race day you put on a new pair of Nike running shoes and hit the road...... It might work. It might not.

In the case of this ammo, Genuine Speer Gold Dot ammo costs an arm and a leg.... if you can even find any. (eg. $50 for 20 rounds)
But to make sure your home defense pistol will feed and function reliably when you need it most, the ideal thing to do would be to test it with the actual ammo.
If you can't find or afford to burn hundreds of dollars for practice ammo, then using this information is the next best thing.
Using this info will allow you to create a pretty close replica of the real thing....and it won't cost too much.
So you can afford to practice and see if your gun will feed and function reliably.
Cost??? factoring in high prices for primers, I estimate the cost per 50 round box at $12.00
Why is Speer Gold Dot so hard to find now? It used to be my go to and you could always find it, but I haven’t actually seen a box on the shelves in years.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why is Speer Gold Dot so hard to find now? It used to be my go to and you could always find it, but I haven’t actually seen a box on the shelves in years.
========
I don't know about availability.
Part of the reason for this project was because our local PD issues Speer GD 124.
Therefore, if I happen to encounter a crackhead in my house and he/she sustains a horrible injury from my pistol and decides to file a lawsuit, I can say that the local police dept. uses the same ammo. So it must be socially acceptable. aka "legally defensible"

·
Registered
210 Posts
========
Part of the reason for this project was because our local PD issues Speer GD 124.
Therefore, if I happen to encounter a crackhead in my house and he/she sustains a horrible injury from my pistol and decides to file a lawsuit, I can say that the local police dept. uses the same ammo. So it must be socially acceptable. aka "legally defensible"
That’s a large part of the reason I liked to use it. I guess Federal would be a reasonably good choice for the same reason.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sadly, so many things nowadays are dictated by lawyers and courtrooms.
The other day I was at the park walking my doggy and I stopped to talk to the park caretaker.
We started talking about the playset (aka jungle gym) and lamented on the loss of the swings.
Back in the day there was a set of swings that kids, including myself, LOVED to play on.
Then apparently some kid got hurt and sued the city. Shortly thereafter all the swings at public parks disappeared.

Hence, you might say my choice of ammo was dictated by lawyers.
Those guys will attack you from every angle.
Greedy people and lawyers are killing off so many things.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
True Dat. When I consider self-defense circumstances the possibility of being bankrupt by lawyer fees to defend yourself is a very real consideration. Even if there isn't a criminal charge the civil suit could bankrupt most folks and that's if you win. I've never been worried about defending myself from an attacker, it's the lawyers that scare me !!!

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Then apparently some kid got hurt and sued the city. Shortly thereafter all the swings at public parks disappeared.
And back in the day, the judge would say, “clearly, your kid is dumber than all that have come to the park before him”. “why are you wasting my time”? “Make sure little Johnny doesn’t drink any antifreeze on the way home”. “Get outta my courtroom”. It’s called an accident.......

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And back in the day, the judge would say, “clearly, your kid is dumber than all that have come to the park before him”. “why are you wasting my time”? “Make sure little Johnny doesn’t drink any antifreeze on the way home”. “Get outta my courtroom”. It’s called an accident.......
==========
If I were allowed to select SCOTUS judges, I would give each nominee a test for "common sense"

·
Premium Member
Prefer Commanders
1,019 Posts
========
Fut I am loading 124g XTPs for my defensive loads and Berry's & Xtreme 124g RN for my practice loads with VV N320 4.2g. I have a write up under the chrono thread and have not tested them over the chrono yet, maybe this afternoon when I get back from town. I think I can better my velocity readings with a powder switch.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts