1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 105 Posts
The playgrounds of today are a joke. The reason that they were so much fun back in the day was because we knew that they were potentially dangerous. The swings what a joke if you do actually find some. First they took away the Oak board swings, too easy to fly out of or some such BS. They came in with the straps. That was not good enough so they went to cages. Now they are gone completely. When was the last time that you saw a See Saw, or a real set of Monkey bars? It is all the same BS. The coffee at MacDonalds was too hot, Gas cans that you can actually use can not be found anymore. Dumb everybody down to the same level and promote mediocrity, what a great world.
Anyway I have not seen any Gold dots around here in VA for a while either. Not much from Speer in any bullet really, Plenty of Hornady and this and that for lead bullets. Barnes bullets have been pretty scarce of late as well. Hopefully this stuff will all come back at some point.

The playgrounds of today are a joke. The reason that they were so much fun back in the day was because we knew that they were potentially dangerous.

I grew up on long chain swings/wooden seats, big wooden merry go rounds and teeter totters (Fun to walk on) jungle gyms and monkey bars, fell out of trees and wrecked my bike and fell off my wooden skate board with metal wheels. Growing up was AWESOME back then. Now ya almost have to fight with kids to get them to go outside. We as citizens of the United States have been made mostly safe from ourselves thru BIG GOVERNMENT OVER REGULATION and our way overboard LITIGIOUS SOCIETY!

Discussion starter · #23 ·
I would love to rant more about this and other stupid things I see on the news today, but we should get back to the subject. Anybody want me to test these bullets with a different recipe?
I'll take requests.

I would love to rant more about this and other stupid things I see on the news today, but we should get back to the subject. Anybody want me to test these bullets with a different recipe?
I'll take requests.
Those bullets will likely run well on a bunch of different powders. I do not currently load 9X19. But as popular as it is it should be easy enough to find a good load for it.

Well dammit.....I’m gonna keep up the rant!!
When was the last time that you saw a See Saw, or a real set of Monkey bars? It is all the same BS. The coffee at MacDonalds was too hot, Gas cans that you can actually use can not be found anymore. Dumb everybody down to the same level and promote mediocrity, what a great world.
The 8” thick padding all around the safety slides and whatnot is a joke. What happens if your dumb kid falls in the street? Is climbing a tree illegal now?
Ahhhh, now I know why there are stickers on lawnmowers.......
What a great world is right..............
Shall we bring up the part about no one knowing how to change a tire again??
Sorry for the derail Oldfut......I have a crap ton of 135 Gr. SB GD’s for the 357. Impressive performance!

Speer makes a good product. I was fooling around with a couple of pistols I have set up for .45 Super. And with 239 grain bullets, I just could not see that you were getting an increase in performance over .45 acp enough to justify all the extra recoil and muzzle blast that I was getting from the guns. I saw some Speer 260 grain Lead hollow point bullets .451 or .452, I can not remember off the top of my head. They seem to be made for that round. It is like a hot .45 Colt round coming out of an auto loader. I got four boxes of them about five years ago and have never seen them for sale anywhere since.
Nosler bullets are hard to come by these days also. Their .224 60 grain ballistic tip has been my go to bullet for .22 centerfire guns for a while now. I am down to my last few boxes of them. And their partition is second only to the Barnes copper bullets for stopping power.

Anybody want me to test these bullets with a different recipe?
I'll take requests.
What powders do you have on hand? (for your own satisfaction, not my curiosity) I'd suggest Silhouette because it's been terrific in every 9mm application I've tried it. Generates good velocities, soft feel, clean and accurate.. even meters beautifully. (and in normal times, it's been cheap and available) There are no other qualities i look for in a powder.

Try some Unique if it will work. I would be interested to know if you can even load 9 mil with it?

Try some Unique if it will work. I would be interested to know if you can even load 9 mil with it?
I've probably loaded two or three five gallon buckets of 9mm with Unique over the years, it's a DANDY 9mm powder, especially with 125 LRN bullets. I favor HS-6 with jacketed hollowpoint bullets, or AA#7, but have also used Unique for them, too.

Appears so... this from the Alliant 2020 RELOADER’S GUIDE

9mm Luger
115-gr Speer GDHPUnique
Powder
CCI 500
Primer
Speer
Case
min OAL
6.3gr
Max
Charge
Velocity
124-gr Speer GDHPUniqueCCI 500Speer
1.120​
5.8​
1180​
147-gr Speer GDHPUniqueCCI 500Speer
1.130​
4.3​
954​

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Both silhouette and WSF looks promising, but I don't have any silhouette.
Unique would be a good choice too. There is data in the speer manual.

RE; Nitro45 rant
don't get me started on more lawyers or stupid news
I'll need to take another blood pressure pill
---
I seem to notice that whenever I fire up my pc and open a web browser, I get a ton of clickbait faux-news.
These fake/useless "news" articles are just desperate attempts at attracting clicks (revenue) by people working from home who have no real useful job skills.

I've probably loaded two or three five gallon buckets of 9mm with Unique over the years, it's a DANDY 9mm powder, especially with 125 LRN bullets. I favor HS-6 with jacketed hollowpoint bullets, or AA#7, but have also used Unique for them, too.
That shows you how much I know about loading nine millimeter. I do not shoot much of it, and interestingly enough back during one of the Obama shortages. You could still get 9 mil and .38 special ammo at Walmart for eight bucks a box all day long. So I bought a bunch of it. I shoot a fair amount of .38 special. But likely have enough nine mil to last me about forever.

I recently picked up a box of 165gr Speer Gold Dots in .40 S&W. I was looking for defensive projectiles for my Springfield EMP. I don't recall if I saw any 9mm or not, but at least I found a new box of Gold Dots.. The projos cost me $29.99/100, with which I was pretty happy, as I also obtained a brick of CCI #400 for $54.99. I can't get as economical as fut, but using new brass I can load at $20.89 for a box of 50. My current avg cost for 40S&W Defense loads is $43.50, though the price recently dropped 8.7%, so I'm still able to load a decent product at 1/2 the cost. I'll have to try some alternate projos for development before testing out the Speer Gold Dots. Nonetheless, I'll be sure to check for some 9mms next time I hit that shop.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
I recently picked up a box of 165gr Speer Gold Dots in .40 S&W. I was looking for defensive projectiles for my Springfield EMP. I don't recall if I saw any 9mm or not, but at least I found a new box of Gold Dots.. The projos cost me $29.99/100, with which I was pretty happy, as I also obtained a brick of CCI #400 for $54.99. I can't get as economical as fut, but using new brass I can load at $20.89 for a box of 50. My current avg cost for 40S&W Defense loads is $43.50, though the price recently dropped 8.7%, so I'm still able to load a decent product at 1/2 the cost. I'll have to try some alternate projos for development before testing out the Speer Gold Dots. Nonetheless, I'll be sure to check for some 9mms next time I hit that shop.
==============
So you wanted to duplicate a 40sw factory ammo?
Did you dissect and chrono some factory ammo from your gun?
That would be the first step. Establish a realistic goal.

Here’s what ya need to try...
135 gr GD over a decent load of SR4756.......
One of our security guys about 30 years ago handed me some and told me to try it.
Holy crap! Seriously....holy crap!
Tell me that’s not a load to be reckoned with........💥💥
If I can get those components I will try it. For a business load I have been running 140 grain Hornady XTPs on top of Power pistol.

21 - 40 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.