1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has any links to 1911 gunsmithing sites which would show me how to file an ejector to throw cases more to the right side rather than backwards. During my very first shooting session with my brand new Compact CDP, it landed a hot case between my right eyebrow and my shooting glasses (where it stuck--ouch!), and another one landed and balanced right on top of my right shoulder. It's only a matter of time before that beast shoots one down the back of my shirt.

I had this problem with an old Star PD that a gunsmith fixed for me. I don't think I need to send the pistol out for work, IF I work carefully with a file and work very slowly. I should be able to do this myself if I have good instruction. Any websites out there -- or any gunsmiths out there who can tell me how to do this?

Thanks.

John Collins

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
There are probably some gunsmiths here that can help you. May I suggest that you post this in the gunsmithing forum, also? That should get their attention.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Have you tried changing your grip and/or stance? It is likely that the problem is the way you shoot, rather than the gun.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'd say 1 in 50-75 cases end up coming right back at me. 1 in 300 make contact.

I have no idea if it's the gun or me; but I always assumed it was just one of those things that will eventually happen if you log in enough hours at the range.

·
Administrator
72,074 Posts
Moving to troubleshooting forum.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Your extractor needs to relax. Sounds like it is a bit too tense.

......seriously.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 06-26-2001).]

·
Registered
416 Posts
YE'UP, the good ol CDP brass slap! Same thing happened with my new CDP. I tuned the extractor and it cut the brass hitting down a little, but the problem seemed to fade more after I put 6-7 hundred rounds through it. I've heard alot of guys say that a "Wilson Bullet Proof" extractor fixed all their problems. Others say that it is an ejector problem.

With my brass hitting problem subdued, now my brass ejects pretty eradically with some falling right by my feet and others ejecting 10 feet out. I believe this is due to my extractor being rounded off at the bottom end of the claw.

Note: I called Kimber about the "brass in the face" problem and they seemed to have never of heard of it. That was [email protected]*#$ right there! I've seen too many posts about this brass problem with CDPs including my own. The the man said that if it was the gun's problem that it would do it on every round, not just 1 in something. Kimber's answer was that I had bad Ammo. Don't know how much of this to believe.

With all this said looks like I will get a Wilson extractor and see if I get the same good results as the others, just hate having to buy parts to make the gun shoot right after I spent $1000 on a "custom gun"

Oh by the way, the gun is accurate and looks nice.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Gargoyle, get the Bulletproof piece. Once tuned properly, you can forget about extractor problems for a long time.

They go in all my guns BEFORE I even fire a round.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
And Gargoyle, you'd better be glad he does, 'cause that guys' "whining" is L-E-G-E-N-D-A-R-Y! ! !

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by gyp_c:
And Gargoyle, you'd better be glad he does, 'cause that guys' "whining" is L-E-G-E-N-D-A-R-Y! ! !

Come on now!!! I only start whining when I don't get my way! Or when I'm sleepy...or hungry...or hot....or cranky....or cold....or thirsty......or bored.....or......
Jeez, I whine a lot.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Bullet proof is on the way. Just wish I had picked it up at the last Gun show to save shipping!

Note: You know it is getting bad when you relate the price of just about everything to to how much ammo you can shoot for the same expense. (My new Pontiac Grand Prix...calculating...whoah!)

Just checked how many posts there are on Kimber Brass slap, think there is any possibility to open a column on this problem!

[This message has been edited by Gargoyle (edited 06-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Time to invent the "no brass in the face " ejection/extraction "kit"...by Rumco at 49.99...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info, folks! I will shoot it through 600-700 rounds and see if the problem is lessened. After some more shooting, the parts may work together in a way which lessens this. BTW, brass isn't ejected "randomly" all over the place. There is a good sized area where it tends to fall, naturally, but it all comes too far backwards over my right shoulder. When I had my PD ejector tuned, there was a similarly sized area where the brass fell, but after tuning it was swung around so as to center itself at around 100-110 degres clockwise measured from the bore. So the admittedly large area where the brass is sent can be moved ( with the occasional unpredictable stray, of course ).

I'm sure the Wilson ejector is a wonderful piece, but it is likley not necessary. Probably a little judicious reshaping of the current ejector will do the trick, and save me the cost of the piece and shipping. I'm still looking for pointers in that direction. Any help??

John Collins

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
John, don't confuse ejector with extractor. Make sure your extractor is tuned properly before you worry about your ejector.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Well...since you already know what it is and what you want, then you alraedy know who to take it to in order to get the work done...
Congrats and good luck...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My humble apologies, it appears it is, in fact the extractor which needs adjusting, not the ejector. TimH70 from the unofficial Kimber Forum sent me some photos from an Ed Brown text which address the issue. Now, we'll see if I can fix it. . .or if I'll screw it up more. . .at which point I guess I'll pop for the Wilson bulletproof extractor, eh? Worth a try!

I'll let you know if it works.

Cheers,

John Collins

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by JohnCollins:
at which point I guess I'll pop for the Wilson bulletproof extractor, eh? Worth a try!
Sounds like a good plan, I am only switching to a Wilson because my extractor has a rounded edge throwing brass.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I shoot a Kimber Custom II .45, and I've had hot brass land between my glasses and eye - and stick. Also on my collarbone and poink! off the top of my head, shoulder, forearm, etc. Those hurt! I've had burn marks on my wrist when I was shooting resting my forearms on the barrier (from a shell rolling under) and cut marks from the edge of the hot shell on my cheek and my forehead.

The absolute worst, though, and this has happened more than once, is when I get "supah-hot" brass down my shirt, where it *lands* and *STAYS* in my bra.

Hubby thought I was being *provocative* when I stopped wearing a bra to the range - but I was just tired of getting burned on the chest! Doesn't matter whether I wear a regular shirt or a tank top (it's awfully stuffy in our range, the guys keep forgetting to turn on the exhaust fan), I still get those frigging shells down my shirt, in the waistband of my jeans....

However,when I get clocked by a hot brass casing, I always rememeber to get my finger off the trigger as I'm doing the "I'm melting!!!" dance and shrieking. (Hey, Armscor loads are HOT and I don't just mean recoil-wise - you can fry an egg on those suckers!)

[This message has been edited by KimberLady (edited 06-28-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by KimberLady:

The absolute worst, though, and this has happened more than once, is when I get "supah-hot" brass down my shirt, where it *lands* and *STAYS* in my bra.

Yeah, gyp_c hates when that happens to him too!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
THAT was supposed to be a secret!!!

..."guess you won't mind my mentioning you putting all those pistols on "layaway" will you!"
BTW...this is Shane "before" the wife finds out
This is Shane "after"

Hava nice Day...PAL!!!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts