1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone else think that the checkered mainspring housing on a 1911 feels like a bunch of little spikes digging into their palm when the gun is fired? its rather unconfortable if you ask me...:scratch:

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
eerw said:
Actually I like the feel..keeps the gun from slipping...
Ditto...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hades2662 said:
does anyone else think that the checkered mainspring housing on a 1911 feels like a bunch of little spikes digging into their palm when the gun is fired? its rather unconfortable if you ask me...:scratch:
Whats the LPI on the MPS? My kimber tac-pro has 30 LPI and I think it feels great. You could drop it in motor oil and still have a great grip on it. Although I think the front strap checkering may have quite a bit to do with that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My S.A. Loaded came with checkering on the MSH that I considered too sharp. I used a flat surface and 320 wet/dry sandpaper on the disassembled housing to take the sharp points off, of course being a stainless part, finish wasn't an issue. It's your pistol, it should be comfortable to you.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Hades2662 said:
Yes, it does feel like a bunch of little spikes. I also like 20 line per inch checkering on the front strap.

I have a couple Kimbers that have 30 line per inch checkering, which would be less tramatic to sensitive hands. My Springers have 20 lpi checkering, as do my custom guns from my gunsmith.

If you shoot in a sport that requires lots of shooting at lots of different targets having the gun stay in your hand without shifting around is a plus. The checkering anchors the gun.

Just my 2¢

·
Premium Member
9,373 Posts
You can change out the MSH to a different setup. No smithing needed.

If you have checkered grips you don't need the checkering on the MSH.

But this brings up a good point that took me sometime to finally learn.
All of these badder than bad skateboard, razor-sharp grips are great
when you pick them up at the store. But if you shoot a lot or attend
a gunschool where you don't get to shoot at your own pace,
the first thing that gets ordered from the gunsmith is a smooth and
dehorn job. :)

I have experienced some of what you talking about. The last class I took
with a full-sized custom 1911 was leaving a wear spot on the palm of my
hand from the MSH. The previous course was shoot with a bobtailed
commander and I had so such wear. File this away for when you are
questioning buying a bobtailed gun someday.

Final point: Those that say, "Well THIS 1911 is what (insert ninja name here)
uses and they know how to build 1911s". My response is yes, but they
kick in doors with leather/Nomex gloves on. Do you wear gloves all day?
How about the last 5 times you shot your 1911? The look on their face
betrayes their actual response. :cool:

Regards,
Greyson

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the replies, i think ill get a ed brown smooth msh...its much cheaper than checkered ones too :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.