1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday, I was shooting my 5 year old Pro-model. It probably has around 6000 rounds through it. I was shooting Winchester White box 230 gr. My pistol locked up. I was unable to rack the slide. I thought it was a spilt case or broken barrel link.

A friend of mine who owns a gun shop took it with him. Today he called me. He told me that the barrel had split down the sides. starting in the area of the barrel shroud to almost the end of the barrel. He said he had never seen anything like it.

I had used this pistol as my duty weapon for almost 5 years. I changed agencies about a year ago and now carry Austrian tupperware. As I worked motors the finish got a lot of abuse. I had already had the pistol refinished once in black T. About 15 months ago, the frame was showing a lot of wear. I had the frame hard chromed. I am afraid this may void my lifetime warranty. I don't see how this could have affected the barrel.

I called Springfield today about 5:20 P.M. EST. By 6:00 P.M. I had received an e-mail with a shipping label to go back. You can ask for better service.

One of my friends thought it may have been a factory misloaded round. I didn't feel any more recoil or a louder round going off.

I think this was a freak happening. I still think Springfield makes an excellent product. Hopefully my hard chroming the frame will not effect the warranty. Has this happened to anyone else? I will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Not a clue here. Do you recall what barrel brand it had..out of curiosity. My year-old Pro has no barrel markings at all. I'd bet that their primary customer for this model has an interest in the post-mortum results. Be sure and report what they tell you--if anything.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It comes with a Nowlin Match Barrel. The F.B.I. asked for Nowlin barrels. I have always been extremely impressed with the accuracy of these barrels.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Either Nowlin stopped marking barrels on the hood, or SA switched to something else 'cause as noted, the barrel on mine has no markings of any kind (S/N CRG3269). No problems with it, just an apparent generic barrel.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think so. The barrel was not bulged. The pistol had cycled and ejected a case before I fired the round that locked up the pistol.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Nowlin 45 ACP barrels have been known to split just as you described it. It was discussed a few years ago at length in this 1911forum, but in a different section. Springfield has continued to use Nowlins despite this fact. For sure, your barrel will be replaced free of charge.

Try a search function, hopefully the pics are still there.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Wow, remind me not to get a Nowlin .40. or 9mm. If the relatively low pressure .45 can do this, what about a high pressure round? This is very odd indeed. I am sure SA will take care of it. It won't hurt for them to know that this incident is being monitored on a forum.

Got any pics? I am sure a number of folks here would like to see this. Good Luck.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Pros don't come with Nowlin barrels any more-

A little birdie told me that the reason SA switched to the SA National Match barrel (hood marked "NM .45 Auto") in the PC 9111 rail and non rail guns was due to the Nowlin barrels splitting as described...

·
Registered
12 Posts
A year or two back I was SOing for a fellow at a match who knows his way around a handgun (he is the owner of a holster manufacturing company who out of respect to him will remain nameless). He split the barrel as you have described on his 1911, I can't remember the brand but it wasn't Springfield, Colt, etc. It was later determined that he experienced bullet setback as the round struck the feedramp compressing the bullet against the powder resulting in a pressure spike. If you have any of the possibly offending ammuntion left perhaps you should cycle it through another 1911 to see if this a possible explanation.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Pro with the NM barrel. I talked to the Springfield custom shop about why my Pro didn't have the Nowlin barrel as advertised and was told that Springfield had discontinued the Nowlin barrels at the FBI's request and went to the NM Springfield barrel. No reason given to me why the change but my barrel has no markings on it at all. I guess it doesn't matter 'cause it still is one of the most accurate 1911's I own.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I saw this happen to two 1911's over in Japan back in 99. The investigation revealed the ammo was the culprit.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My pistol left Ocala Florida On Thursday 0ctober 29, with a Fed-Ex overnight shipping label. On Tuesday November 3 at around 10:00 A.M. Fed-Ex delivered my pistol. A new Kart barrel, fitted bushing, oversized link and link pin had been installed. The pistol had also been test fired. I test fired the pistol and it functioned flawlessly and extremely accurate.

The customer service I received was incredible. I can't say enough great things about Springfield.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
from what I understand you have a choice of a blue steel Kart, a Stainlees Nowlin, or a Springfield stainless barrel. It was Springfield's decision on what I got

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Now that is customer service. Every gun maker should follow SA lead in customer service.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Now that is customer service. Every gun maker should follow SA lead in customer service.
Just imagine if auto makers adopted Springfield's customer service and warranty. We'd all be driving 40 year old cars that still had that new car smell.:biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts