1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a S&W 1911PD I purchased for my daily CCW, in most respects I am very pleased with this weapon, however the thumb safety leaves a lot to be desired. The thumb safety was spongey and did not have the distinctive click that I like.

I have grown accustomed to the safety on my Ed Browns, these feel about perfect to me and instill confidence. Even my bone stock SA GI has what I feel is a better thumb safety, there is no question when you click it on or off.

I replaced the safety on the S&W with one from Wilson Combat, while this did give it a bit more of a 'click' on and off, it still is too soft for my taste, basically it feels as if it would be far too easy to accidently knock the safety off.

Would replacing the plunger spring and safety lock plunger most likely fix this, or should I be still looking to replace yet another thumb safety?

·
Registered
607 Posts
My doug koenig had the same problem and I sent it back on their dime and it came back perfect . Anything safety related they will jump on . I think you should give them a call .

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Could be a weak plunger spring but.Look at the shape of the ramp the plunger rides on in the on to off position,just very slightly change it from point of contact to the breakover point.If it goes on too easy increase the dimple slightly where the plunger holds it off.All these parts are general spec and so are the guns,that part may have serious clicks on a piece with a plunger tube to pivot hole just a few thou closer.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response, I have to agree that it would most likely seem to be a weak spring at this point.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I had an SW1911 for a few years and it too had a spongy safety. All three of my Springers and every one that I've handled were very tight(snappy).

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dropped in a new plunger spring and safety lock plunger from Ed Brown, problem solved!

These parts in conjunction with the Wilson Combat safety I had already added made a world of difference. I now have far more confidence with this gun in condition 1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts