1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I should put this in the long-gun forum.

Anyway I may want to soon get a rifle. It's hard to see a 7mm hole from 300 feet (I can barely see them at 25 feet), should i get binocs or a spotting scope? Which brands are good?

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I would get a good variable spotting scope like the Leupold model that the Army uses. I can't remember the name, but it retails for about $700. It seems nice to me because it looks fairly tatable like binocs, but with the tripod you could turn it up and see bullet holes for quite a ways. If it just had a laser range finder in it, I would have already bought one. That is what I'm waiting for. . .a tactical spotting scope with a laser range finder(1000+ yds)

·
Registered
685 Posts
I believe you're referring to the Leupold 12-40X-60mm. I've heard great things about it but have to wait until mine's delivered Friday to confirm these reports. Leuppy also makes a 25X scope, but I wanted the flexibility of the variable power.

FWIW, I got mine through www.bearbasin.com for $693 all in all done, including scope cover.

Steve G.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
201 Posts
For 100 yards you don't need to spend $700.
Try looking at bearbasin.com or SWFA.
I'm sure you can find a comparison somewhere.
Forget about the bino's though....
That's not what they're made for.
JMO,
Stocky

------------------
Anyone who isn't a paranoid schizophrenic now-a-days, just isn't thinking clearly!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Bushnell Sentry spotting scope has been the standard for target shooting since FOREVER! Just a little over $100, at most places. (Midway, etc.)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Definitely get a spotting scope for rifle range work. Mine is a Simmons 25x50. Get one with a threaded base for mounting to a tripod. Mine came with a small tripod. Mine is not the most expensive one going, but I can see 30 caliber holes at 100 yards with no problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
yep a spotting scope. cheap or expensive whatever you can afford. beats having to pick up binocs. just set it up on the side of shooting position,also a decent rang finder is a good accessory. nothing like not having to guess how far the shot is.good luck on whatever you decide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts