1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I've been good because the Mrs. said Santa will be bringing me a spotting scope. I need one that will be good for seeing a minimum of .22 holes at no more than 100-150 yards and moderately priced. I do wear glasses, so some sort of decent eye relief should be considered. I've narrowed my choice to three scopes that fit my requirements. I would like opinions from those of you who have experience with any of these three. I know that a Kowa or Zeiss would be great but hardly in my budget or needs. The three are:

1. Burris Landmark 15-45 x 60mm $165 with hardcase & tripod
2. Bushnell Spacemaster 20-60 x 60mm Multi position eyepiece, $174 with hardcase, no tripod.
3. Leupold Wind River 15-45 x 60mm Angled eyepiece, $240 with hardcase & tripod.

I'm leaning towards the Leupold because of it's lifetime warranty and being waterproof. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I have not had any experience with any of the scopes you name. I have a .. uh.. my wife has a neat little Kowa 20x that was comparatively cheap but perhaps not up to .22 holes at 150 yards.

Burris - even if their warranty is not a stated "lifetime warranty" - will probably put about anything right that goes wrong if it is not a result of abuse. I can't state that as fact, but I believe they are pretty good about such things. Perhaps someone else can verify that.

Leupold glass is generally in the catagory of excellent; their lifetime warranty is reflected in their product retail prices.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a Burris 20-60. I can easily see .223 holes at 200 meters. Leupold makes excellent glass, as well. I'm pretty sure both are made in Japan, possibly by Hakko. A friend has a pretty old Kowa. Works as well as my Burris.

Eddie

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have a Baush and Lomb Discoverer (15-60X) and it is a great scope. I can see 22-250 holes at 200 yrds. with no problem. They are around $200. I would stay away from the cheapo models from Bushnell and Tasco that retail for about $60.00, they are better than nothing but the optics on those are awful.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Consider a good quality waterproof fixed power 20 or 25 X 60mm. The Army's M49 (20X60mm) served snipers well for over 50 years.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'll second the B&L Discoverer. Great scope for the price, and it can even be converted to work as a camera lens with most SLR cameras.

I shopped around quite a bit and this was the best I found.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts