1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the range I use it is run by the TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency) and they are very safety conscious, which is a good thing. But they ask us to bring our guns thru a check in house with the breech open, they ask us to set them on a counter where a guy uses a bore light and a mirrow to check every firearm entering the range to ensure it's unloaded.

If that isn't hard enough on the recoil spring, after every "hot" range session, we are ordered to have our guns empty with breech locked back, while targets are adjusted and so on.

My Kimber Pro Carry barley made the 800 round count before the recoil spring was shot. The spring was about 1/2" shorter than a new spring and had a bad arch to it.

Is this as abusive as it seems? I guess it really doesn't matter, rules are rules. Yesterday I broke the rules and left the gun empty, with the breech closed, and safety on. No one noticed. They don't walk the line and check. What do you guyes think?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I think it's juts basic range safety rules. I'm not sure how much wear it really puts on springs, probably not much, but I don't think it even matters as those are just some basic safety rules when at a range with others, including strangers.

I'm not sure why they have them checked on the way in. That doesn't make much sense, as they will soon be loaded. Now, having them open when people are downrange, that I understand.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Spring

Springs in the short slide guns dont last as long as in a 5 inch gun. Some are supposed to be changed at about 800 shots.
The springs in my commanders usually dont go more than about 1500 or so.

Lebanon? My uncle used to live on Fordtown road. It was
the house across the road from an old barrel factory. There
used to be a store there beside his driveway. Cox's store.
Know where that is?

C-Buff

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SSR, C-BUFF, thanks for the replys, I'll go with the safety minded over spring life.

C-Buff, not sure where that is, I actually live in a real small town, Lebanon is the only place most people recognize, so I just say I live in Lebanon. I work all over Lebanon, lived in this area for 26 years now.

Are you local, if so where do you shoot?

·
Registered
22,348 Posts
Leaving the slide locked back while idle is not "wearing" the spring nearly as much as the repeated flexing of actually shooting the gun. It seems a reasonable safety precaution for that type of range. I do it myself on our unmonitored range because it seems the right thing to do.

The 4 inch Kimbers are woefully undersprung. Change frequently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree that it is a reasonable range safety precaution and that you aren't hurting the spring by locking back the slide.

At my range if you are caught not following their rules, you lose your range privileges.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Lebanon

GSS said:
SSR, C-BUFF, thanks for the replys, I'll go with the safety minded over spring life.

C-Buff, not sure where that is, I actually live in a real small town, Lebanon is the only place most people recognize, so I just say I live in Lebanon. I work all over Lebanon, lived in this area for 26 years now.

Are you local, if so where do you shoot?
Fordtown is just outside of Kingsport. It crosses Lebanon
Road about a mile from my uncle's old house. I'm near the North
Carolina line, not far from Boone, and shoot on my own land.
Life is good!

C-Buff

·
Registered
906 Posts
It will not hurt the spring and it is not really for they long of a
time. Buy a few extra springs and change it every 800 and
should not have a problem and you will feel better.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I just wanted to butt in. Am I missing something? Is there any range anywhere where a benched firearm isn't to be kept action open when not being fired? Its not only not bad for the springs, to do otherwise is completely unsafe range handing! The action was meant to be left locked open to show its safe. When cased or locked in a safe, or being fired obviously one may close the action. My understanding is 800 rounds on a compact Kimber spring is normal life span.

later,
AJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts