1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stainless 1911 that has a problem. The pistol functions fine, shoots fine, and is very tight but when I take the gun apart the slide has trouble coming off from the frame. I am pulling the slide off from the front and it will come off, but it appears to be binding in some way, also the bushing is very tight, and it has a 2-piece full-length guide rod.
Any ideas what or if this is a problem?

·
Registered
724 Posts
MOLOT, I always remove the slide to the rear of the frame. Off the front the disconnector will catch the firing pin stop. You can get a barrel bushing wrench for about $5.oo. Makes life a lot easier. Bob

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
you may not have a problem unless the gun is not cycling well when firing. you did mention that she is shooting well?

how difficult is it to get off? are we talking hanging up completely with some real force needed to move it or just binding up some as it comes off but manageable?

two of mine have a tight slide to frame fit but both work well and are dynamite shooters with fine accuracy. it is not uncommon to have a slide to frame fit that is tight. this will loosen up some with shooting. you also want to keep her lubed well if the slide to frame fit seems tight.

the bushing fit can also be type but if she comes out OK that should not be a problem. getting a bushing wrench, if you don't have one, is a very good idea.

if she is shooting well and you are able to field strip it without excessive force you are probably OK. if you are really seriously muscling this thing around you might need to talk to SA Service about it. they did a great job on loosening up a very tight gun i had, but it was so tight it would not cycle and load a round well which does not sound like your situation.

let us know how it goes.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just to be sure, before you remove the slide, have you undone the bushing and also removed the barrel? If the barrel is still in the slide, the barrel link may be preventing you from taking the slide off.

If it is still tight, then I agree that it is most likely the disconnector not smoothly moving down when the slide moves over it. You can always polish that part of the slide until it glides cleanly over the disconnector

·
Registered
314 Posts
Texas Bob C. said:
MOLOT, I always remove the slide to the rear of the frame.
HUH? That shouldn't work. Could you please elaborate?

BTW... you shouldn't have to remove the barrel before taking the slide off either. sometimes that barrel link will hang up, but pull the slide all the way back and then move it quickly off the front and the momentum will carry it off rather easily.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
yep, wondered about that myself. mine sure don't go that way and they do come off with barrel still inside slide.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts