1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired an IPSC gun chambered in 45ACP and built on a 5” Springfield. The gun uses a 2-chamber full profile comp affixed to a Bar-Sto bull-barrel, Commander length springs, and has had the slide trimmed down about 0.50“ in length. I want to shoot the gun but have no interest in working up any light or special loads for it. Not being too familiar with comp’d guns, what I’m wondering is what spring weight would be a good place to start if I want to shoot full power 230gr FMJ through the gun? Any help is much obliged. :)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Try a 14# spring, give or take a pound. Look for the brass to stay in flight 6 to 10 feet and you should be good to go. You might also want to measure the existing spring's force to know what it's been running with.

When you stick a new spring in it, be sure to verify that you don't get spring bind with the new spring. The way I do it is to assemble the gun without the recoil spring. Move the slide fully to the rear of it's travel and make a witness mark with a pencil that aligns the slide with the frame. Install the new spring, retract the slide and if the old marks still line up, you're all set. If the slide's mark comes short of the frame's mark, the spring is too long for the space available and needs to be shortened. Snip a coil at a time from the front end of the spring, until the two marks line up and then snip another half a coil. Now shoot the gun to see how far it throws brass and if within 10 feet or so, you're finished. If it's throwing brass way far off, then you need to repeat the process with a higher force spring. When you decide you've got a winner, write down the information (including the "trim-to" length) and save it for the future.
Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts