1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Mil-Spec 38 Super from a guy on arfcom for a decent price.

Gun looks good, slide to frame is a little sloppy but nothing major. The only thing that truly bothers me is how unbelievably thin the rear portion of the ejector is. The thickness is about the same as two playing cards. I have not measured it but the difference between this and my .45 or 10mm is shocking.

I pulled the slide off to take a better look and noticed there is also a substantial gap between this portion of the ejector and the firing pin stop. Just for grins I placed a different FPS in there and noticed a substantial overlap on the ejector side. So the back length of the ejector has been machined to almost nothing and the FPS has a sizable chunk taken out as well.

My question is this; in spite of the fact that this is a 38, is that normal?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
It just might be normal. I had a Caspian 38sup set up for IPSC. It also had a very very thin ejector. I could post a pic if you want.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That does look pretty close. I would venture to say mine is even a hair thinner than that.

So the question becomes, don't these break? I know the nose is plenty thick but the skinny part seems almost unsafe.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
My gun was used in IPSC competition, and got lots of use shooting major power factor (I was shooting a 180 PF) rounds. I never had a problem from the ejector.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The ejector on my Ultra Compact is equally skinny. It works but it looks like crap. If it does fail sometime, I don't think replacement is going to be a simple drop-in.

The ejector on my full size mil spec looks normal.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help guys.

I agree re:replacing this thing. In addition to doing whatever crazy fitting is required the ejector is also pinned.

·
Registered
105 Posts
At some point I want to get my compact blued. I don't have any idea when I may do that but I'm thinking at the same time to get everything squared up and have the slide machined to accept a standard ejector and get rid of that skinny little booger.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
It is a pretty low stress part.
The ony thing hitting it is an empty case at high speed or a loaded round that is manually ejected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts