1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just fired my new Springfield Armory 1911A1 for the first time. The pistol isi chambered in 38 Super and has a bright nickel plated finish. This is the same gun that was on the cover of the August/September issue of Handguns magazine.

The sights are fixed and the gun shoots .5 inch to the right at 25 feet. The trigger pull is exceptionally high for a single action pistol. I would like to have a gunsmith "cure these ills " but I do not want any scratches in the nickel plating. Is it realistic on my part to believe that these corrections can be made without scratches? I am willing to pay more if necessary to have this work done correctly.

I have never owned a 1911 before-all my prior experience is with revolvers. Does it make sense to have the factory adjust the trigger pull on my 38 Super? Or will the factory shy away from trigger adjustments because of potential liability issues?

Saving $110 or $150 is not an issue here. What is most important is that the pistol comes back with a 4 pound trigger pull, adjustable sights and not have any scratches on it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

John T.

·
Registered
280 Posts
trigger pull

There is no reason a competent smith should scratch up your pistol to do a trigger job, everything being done is internal and it just need disassembly to get at the sear, and hammer. There are at least 20 smiths that post on this forum that can do it for you, and probably twice that many kitchen table smiths.

I would not fiddle with the .5" off @ 25yds that small of amount could be you and not the sights. The sight probably needs to be bumped witha drift, but unless the nickel is in the dovetail it will show. If you are really unhappy with the sights have them replaced if this is the nickle mil-spec the sights aren't something to write home to Mom about and you will get a lot better sight picture with a aftermaket. I like Heines, some like Novaks, if you look at parts on the intro to this forum there are a couple of sight manufacturers in addition to the above.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Schromf:

Thanks for your reply. I did want to point out that the sights (for me) were .5 inch to the right at 25 feet, not 25 yards. I assume that would be about an inch and a half at 25 yards.

John T.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Um... unless you send the gun to a slack-jawed moron, there is no reason your gun should be beat up by the 'smith doing the trigger job. :)

Just make sure you pack it real well so it doesn't get scratched in shipping.

·
Registered
407 Posts
trigger pull might take care of the site adjustment for you....

esp. if you are left handed....

sno

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts
Adjustable sights will almost certainly require refinishing the slide. Unless you are going to use a lot of different loads, I'd suggest a set of high-visibility fixed sights, with the rear drifted and front trimmed down to adjust POI.
I have a parkerized Mil-Spec Super, and mine shot about 2" low at 25 yards. I installed a match bushing, and it brought the POI right to POA. My trigger was over 5#, and I brought it down to a crisp 4# by dropping in a STI sear, and tweaking the sear spring just a little. Fun gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts