1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a complete newbie to the 1911 platform I have a glock17 an HS2000 and a Tuarus pt140.
I am getting a springfield A1 SS from a friend of mine.
I just paid $142.00 for it yesterday so in ten days it will be mine,but it doesn't have a manual so I am not familiar with the controls or the field stripping procedures.
I have e-mailed springfield about sending me an instruction booklet,but in the meantime anything you can tell me about my new toy would be very helpful.
One thing I would like to know right away is if its safe to dry fire like the glock,
or will this damage the firing pin?
well,thanks in advance for any help or suggestions
freebyrd

·
Registered
967 Posts
FB, you can dry fire all day long, just put a snapcap in the chamber to protect the FP.

Stripping the weapon is very easy. There are several websites out there that have the pics and animation to make it easier to understand.

I also recommend you get the Kuhnhausen books as the addiction will get you eventually.

Hope this helps.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
770 Posts
$142 for a SA??? Tell you what, since it doesn't have a manual, send it to me(I'll give you 150 pluse shipping) 'cuz I already have a manual for it!!
How did yo uget such a great deal?? Is he selling anything else at that kind of price??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I should explain the price my good friend who also collects guns bought it about a year ago.

He got into some financial trouble and had to pawn it,
He always wanted a Colt 45 so when time came to get it out of hock he told me if I paid for it I could have it!
so $142.00 and ten days = new A1
And yes I know how lucky am
I have a brand new gun and a great old friend
freebyrd

·
Registered
117 Posts
I hear two stories on dry firing. One is that there is no damage done. The other is that dry firing will mess up the linkage in the sear/hammer interface.

I've no clue which is correct. Never hurts not to dry fire them. You don't need to dry fire the gun. You can release the hammer manually and ease it down.

------------------
What part of "shall not be infringed" needs 'splainin' ???
----------------------------------------------------------------
PowderBurns Black Powder / Muzzle Loader Forum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts