1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found one ofd these for sale for 650.00. This is the loaded model and was just wondering if this was a good deal or not.

Thank you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Price sounds good to me. I was considering a fullsized loaded, but they all have those ugly front cockers. Ended up with a Champion (commander sized)
Report back after you've shot a few boxes threw it:cool:

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
He probably means the front cocking serrations on the slide. Many people seem to dislike them, but only slightly less than they dislike the FLGR (full length guide rod) the Loadeds come with. I happen to like the way they look. I think it adds a bit of a modern edge to the look of a 1911.

The price is definitely fair as the street price seems to hover around $635 + or - $25.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
The front cooling vents don't go all the way thru! :cool: They serve no useful purpose, but don't do any harm either.

This is the pistol I recommend for "first time" M1911 buyers. Has all the bells and fluffy whistles folks think they want in a M1911. Most of these parts can come off and underneath is a competent M1911A1.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cocking serrations, yes, that's what I meant.
Can't see why they put them on all the new 5" 1911s. (Unless you have a frame-mounted scope on it)
Heard it tears up leather holsters too.

But to each, their own. Just a matter of tastes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh ok I kinda thought you might have been talking about that after looking more at the pics. It seems like alot of people think going witht he mil spec is better if you want to put your own touch on the firearm. But allt he mil specs I find are oly 100 less. I am still undecided.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'm developing a sneaking fondness for the one I have here, despite the accuracy mentioned in another post.
As an entry level pistol I think it offers pretty good value, and gives a new or relatively new shooter some extras right off the bat that would cost extra to put on if he or she bought the Mil Spec version.
Personally, I'd look at replacing at least a couple things to make it what I'd like it to be, but even if you replaced the two-piece barrel, the sear, the disconnector, the firing pin, the grip safety, the ambi safety, the hammer, and the guide rod, you'd do most of that in bringing the Mil Spec up from a base pistol anyway, and the much better Novak sights would cost about $150 in themselves just to buy, not counting installation.
The PX9109L gives you an "advanced" pistol configuration that can be left as is for casual use, or upgraded here & there for serious use as you go along. You can shoot it & see what the add-ons do for you.
Denis

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
sounds good to mee, I dont mind the slots on the front, so I might go with that then, even if I got the mil spec I would have no idea what would need upgraded.

I unfortunately bought an Auto Ordiance a year ago and the quality of the firearm just seems to be lacking. I just wanted a firearm and went with what I could afford at the time.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Typically, if you bought the Mil Spec and intended to make it more user friendly, you'd replace at least the grip safety, hammer, thumb safety, and sights. Probably the arched mainspring housing, too. All that would cost you more than the price difference between the two models if you had them done.
Denis

·
Registered
541 Posts
Bought one of the earlier ones. Came without the night sights. Mine is the green armory coat or whatever they call it. For a stock no accurization done type of pistol it's a keeper. It does have some mim parts in it though. My slide stop has a obvious casting flaw, I have about 2000 rounds through it and am still waiting for the slide stop to fail. I removed the ILS and FLGR from mine, and installed the adjustable sight they have on the loaded coupon, and except for those dang front slide serrations it's a nice pistol and shoots well also.
The front serrations are hell on nice leather holsters.

Here's a 25 yard group from my loaded.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
The lower end Springfields will all have a mix of MIM & cast parts, so those are not a deciding factor between these two models.
You're too old to be shooting a 1911 anyway, it'll crack your brittle wristbones. :biglaugh:
Denis

·
Registered
541 Posts
DPris said:
The lower end Springfields will all have a mix of MIM & cast parts, so those are not a deciding factor between these two models.
You're too old to be shooting a 1911 anyway, it'll crack your brittle wristbones. :biglaugh:
Denis
Maybe I can blame that 9 on a broken wrist?? :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can be found cheaper

I picked up one NIB from Gunbroker.com, for under $600. After S/H and transfer fees, it'll still end up under $625. They are out there, it just takes research and patience to find one for the right price.

·
Registered
541 Posts
DPris said:
Having just turned 53 in September, I sure would. :D
Denis
My main problem is my eyesight. I still only use reading glasses but should go get a full prescription set. I prefer to use open sights over the red dots. hope to find a shooter friendly optician when I spring for regular glasses so I can get fitted for/or figure out what I'll need to keep using open sights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok yea I will continue to look around. The more I look, the more the look of the Mil spec is kinda appealing to me.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
GR8,
I finally had to get a set of shooting glasses ground to focus at about arms' length. Works much better than the reading glasses I'd used for quite a while.
Denis

·
Registered
541 Posts
DPris said:
GR8,
I finally had to get a set of shooting glasses ground to focus at about arms' length. Works much better than the reading glasses I'd used for quite a while.
Denis
I have about come to that conclusion also. Just being resistant to the aging process. I hate to start into wearing glasses continuosly. After All I can see perfectly fine accross the street. Just don't ask me to focus on my watch or pistol sights. Arms got to short last year. And when I had a checkup the eye guy said as long a reading glasses are working just use them as my distance vision was fine. Problem I'm having is the marked difference from my dominant right eyesight and left eyesight. I can actually focus much closer now with my left eye than my right. Guess I'll be calling for an appointment later this week and see what the eye doc can do for me.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
What I found was the reading glasses focused on my sights fine, but the black bulls I use for testing at either 25 or 100 yards (two different sizes) were too blurry to get a precise sight picture. When I had the focus extended farther, I can still see the sights OK, and the targets are a little clearer. Better compromise. Neither sights nor targets are perfectly clear like they used to be, but that's a function of aging eyes. These are "shooting only" glasses, not for regular wear. The focus is too far out for reading and too far in for extended distances.
Some opticians understand the problem, some don't.
Good luck.
Denis

1 - 20 of 26 Posts