1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father has a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 mil spec and he wants a beavertail grip safety for it. I order one from Chip McCormick but when it got here it didn't fit without machining the frame. My question is does anyone make one the drops in, no machining? Any input would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kings makes a drop-in. I believe it's #206?

I think Wilson also makes a drop-in.

Keep in mind some fitting still may be required.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My understanding so far is that 99.9% of the time, parts marketed as "Drop-in" do not just drop in. Beavertails included.

That being said, "Drop-in" parts don't generally require more machining and fitting than those that are "gunsmith oversized".

Wilson beavertails seems to be the choice for SA frames.

·
Registered
877 Posts
S&A makes a beavertail specifically for Springfield Armory 1911s (which, coincidentally appears on their Loaded guns).

You still need to modify the frame to make it fit properly.

If you really want a beavertail grip safety, then you want it bad enough to remove some metal from the frame. Drop-in parts are not going to do the trick.

As far as "machining" goes, that's just the fastest way to do it if you have the mill and the skills. It can be done with files, sandpaper, and patience too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
SA pistols require a .220 radius for the fitted BGS, not the standard .250 radius.This will be important if you decide to fit a BGS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was reading on the forum about Springfield Armories custom shop and a lot of people gave them rave reviews so tomorrow I am send my 1911A1 to them to have the tangs machined and a new high rise beavertail put in.

Most of the custom accessories that I have put on have been easy addons, this will be my first true custom work. I can't wait till it comes back.

Thanks to all of you who replied.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts