1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at least at this point!!

We all jump on these people.. I am worst then most as I sell firearms as well as own firearms. We all want and, more then that, expect the perfect gun (especially at new gun prices).

Well here is the first part of an installment I want the folks in the Springfield section to read be aware of. I decided to get into the 1911 firearms. I have owned many SIG, Rugers, S&W,etc. Now I was looking at 1911's Para Ord, Kimber and Springfield Armory.

When I received my own Springfield Champion SS, last week, I opened it to discover the slide (left side mostly) had small gray spots (5 to 9 ) in the metal finish. It also had a couple of light scratches but the concern I had were mostly the spots. My past experience in machining aluminum (I know this is SS) was these spots were an indication of bad metal. Hard metal or just plain contaminated metal.

At first I decided to let it go.. after all I want a shooting gun as the guys say here I was not looking for a "safe queen". Went to the range and the Champion shoots great.. Not one failure to fire, stove pipe or any other failure mode. Not even with the various ammo I shot thru it...

Got home decided to clean up the gun.. as I did my detailed cleaning the spots started to really wear on me. I tried to act like the did not exists <g>. Well I then decided to post a message here about the spots and get the groups opinion (you guys always have an opinon) and many are very correct and or give you a good direction to proceed...

here is the link to that question posted only yesterday..

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63834

Mr. freeze respnded quickly and at first thought like I had... to leave them alone as many folks have "introduced problems" new problems when you try to get the factory customer service involved and we all have read where some had wish they had stayed with the original problem even though that meant accept what you paid for even though you did not get what you paid for (ie paid for a brand new gun got something less).

But.. Mr. Freeze came back and edited his comments and even though I has attempted to forget the spots his comments hit directly on what I have/had in the back of my mind. I too had thought the spots, since they are deep, might just indicate a possible metal/material problem that might surface later.

Well.. I emailed SA customer service. To shorten this post up. My Champion is on the way back to SA and they (SA) even picked up the entire UPS return charges (emailed me and account number and RMA number to use at UPS)..

I obviously have a little while to see if I am speaking way too early about their great customer service but this young lady (name with held to protect the inocent) gave me the confidence that she will make sure things get done and done right.. first time.

She was not exactly like an certain indiviual we all know in another firearm supplier's section where some have posted that he beats them up <g>

Lets hope we have a good thing at SA... I suspect and hope they replace the entire slide better yet the entire gun since it is so new..

Again the spots ARE deep and that wold be the "for sure" fix....

I will keep you posted...
sorry for the long post we wll read the bad stuff only...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may be right!

But.. I do think it should at minimum be a new slide. The more I think about the hard spots.. I have looked at other SS slides none look like that.
And from what I understand they really need to have the complete gun there to fit the new slide..

Lets hope anyway.

curious what did your go in for?.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Mine went in for FTE's and shooting about 12" low at 25 yards. Also, the grip safety had scratches from burr's. Outside of that, it is a great little piece.

I agree, I would send them the complete pistol instead of just the slide. The CS person seemed real professional when I spoke to them, and they will pick up the shipping cost both ways. I do like the Lifetime warranty

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I hope they get your going. Does get frustrating huh??

I agree.. I talked to this young lady and mostly email BUT seemed not only professional but seemed she actually cared..
Funny.. I sit here thinking.. Iwill have to read this good stuff while I am either still waiting for the gunto return OR worst yet it gets back with scratches and or the spots still there. I have read some real war stories as I mentioned in y first post. But, I think most people.. even me.. can understand a problem as long as the mfg. not only reacts.. but makes it right QUICKLY..

I have a couple of customers sitting on their hands with order waiting to see my outcome.. so as you can see I kinda have an investment pending that extends past my personal gun..

BUT ...they must make it right which right now I feel they will...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What I've Learned

With the exception of one instance (name withheld), all SA's CS reps have been very helpful and cordial. My micro went back three times (FTE mostly, some FTF, acouple stovepipes, and a broken guide rod contraption).

Trip one: new extractor, throat/polish

Trip two: new slide

Trip three: new (different) gun--still waiting for it.

A couple tips:

1. Always try to deal with the same person. This way they remember you and you don't have to explain your situation ad noseum

2. Always send the complete gun, no matter what the problem. This way they can range test, ensure proper fit/finish, etc.

3. Keep detailed records and note any and all problems. This helps them more accurately assess what is going on.

4. Don't harass them, but check in every now and then to see ehat the status is. Even the best companies can have mix ups, miscommunications etc.

My grades for SA CS:

General CS (friendliness): A

Willingness to make customer happy/retain your business: A+

Efficiency/turnaround: B+

Call back/follow up: CS, D- via email (custom shop): A

Attention to detail and thoroughness: C

I'd say that SA is head and shoulders above any other companies I've had similar dealings with. Please note: these are only my experiences. Others might rate them higher, still others might rate them lower. But whatever the case, I believe if you treat people like you want to be treated, you'll always come out better. Having patience, and being willing to cut them some slack, realizing that they are human too, will get you much further, with respect to getting what you want. Good luck with your issue. You could be in a much worse situation!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forstr

you have some good points and so far I am following them... I too have dealth with one other famous 1911 making (no not colt).. Their guy almost attacks.. yet he has done some good things..

I willl check in via email with this lady.. I think that helps them reply when they are not busy onthe phone.. yet.. be assured I am like most of us.. If I feel ignored.. I too can go up a step but right noe does not seem it will be needed...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I hear you. The third time back, my letter was not rude or threatening, but it was definitely firm. And I think I might know who "the other guy is", but I guess it's irrelevant. The email contact is Springfield Inc. Deb usually roams the forum, and will post if asked a question. Or you can PM her. She's always gotten backk to me real quick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can't help but wonder about Final QA?, it is evident that there is a Quality problem and the cost of paying for the returns alone should make someone start to question WHY.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
DDpelp I agree with you in all facets. I sent a Microcompact back, and the SA rep was awsome. She made promises, of which I was skeptical, and kept everyone of them including the call backs. Like you I was displeased with the firearm to begin with, but the customer service made it all better :)

The turn around for my firearm, which also waas during the SA inventory period, was only 4 1/2 weeks. And I live a long way from chicago hehe ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
My TRP was received at SA Nov 4. I called SA Wednesday the 12th this week to check on my low shooting TRP. Someone said they got theirs back in 10 days. So I called, and ask if it wouldn't be too much trouble if she could check on the status of my TRP. She said no trouble, but that it normally would be 4 weeks, and said she could check, and give me a call the next day. She did keep her word, and said it should be shipped to me by the end of the week. (21st or 22nd). Will give you an update when it arrives, but will be more surprised if it isn't here when she said. I've never dealt with a more polite company of any type.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree. I spoke with Patti yesterday checking the status of my Micro. Very polite, very professional, and they do follow up. THat is all we can ask for. I am very happy with SA Customer Service. It is the one ingrediant that will keep me coming back to buy from them. That and the weapons....

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
SA gets an 'A' for customer service

I sent my 1911 back to SA to have it repaired about 1 month ago. I only had the pistol for about 1 month and it kept double feeding and failing to eject and leaving light hits on the primer. Within about 30 days of sending it, I had my pistol back. During those 30 days, I occassionally called SA to get a status check on the gun. The ladies I talked to were very professional and helpful. SA repaired my 1911 and I have shot 450 failure free rounds through it since then. I am very happy with SA's customer service so they get an 'A' in CS in my books!

·
Registered
98 Posts
5 stars for SA

Well I said I wouldn't be surprised if it did show up this week (21st or 22nd) as I was told by customer service. So it showed up today. Problem solved.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Little update!!

Well.. I am MUCH slower at posting this update then SA is at getting my 1911 back to me. If you read my original post I mentioned the spots etc on the slide. SA picked up the overnight shipping back to them had it fixed and back to me on Tuesday 11/25/03!!! 8 days.. and it is great!! overnighted it right back.. My contact there is a lady named Lisa and I want to thank her for her extra efforts to make this timeline..

Again, as mentioned by others .. having a problem is one thing having a company stand totally behind their product, picking up shipping (overnight) BOTH ways.. and getting it fixed right when it is returned is the REAL fix!!

Thanks Lisa.. SA Customer Service.. You are great..

PS - I happend to know that ALL the SA customer service people are well aware of and read this forum...

·
Administrator
13,263 Posts
Lisa is great !
She helped me today with a somewhat complicated order modification . No troubles .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts