1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering if anyone might have any info regarding this older 'flap' style military holster that I picked up .... 15 years ago, or so .... don't recall where. I'd like to find out what years these holsters were produced, where, etc. These days, I have it stuffed with a Springfield Armory G.I. model .... what else?

Preciate any info.

Added a couple other shots (scans) for a bit more detail. The riveting is different from most of the "older" G.I.'s I've seen .... note the 'two' @ the trigger housing area; also, the rivets are marked EBERLE .... if that means anything. All materials look to be good quality stuff .....????

Attachments

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
You have a Post Korean War US Model 1916 hip holster.

The Model 1916 was adopted in 1916 to replace the earlier Model 1912 Dismounted hip holster, which was found to be unsuited for most users.

Up until WWII, US holsters were dyed a Russet Red-Brown color.

During WWII, they were usually a dark brown.

Following the Korean War, all US leather was changed to black.
Many older holsters were re-dyed with black dye.

The Vietnam era holsters had a "part number" instead of the production date the earlier holsters had.

Model 1916 holsters were produced by many makers, including Springfield Armory, Rock Island Arsenal, Boyt, Sears Leather Goods, Tex-Tan, and many others, especially during WWII.

The Vietnam era black versions were produced by several makers, including Cathay Industries.

Bottom line: You have probably a Vietnam era holster.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Excellent info - is the Springfield that would have "made"; or had these holsters made for them, using the S.A. name, be the same company that exists today, or would this be a completely different entity; the "old" Springfield?

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
There's two "Springfield Armory's".
The original was the US government arsenal at Springfield Mass.
The second is a commercial company that somehow managed to copyright the name, and is in Geneseo, Ill.

I "assume" the holster you have was made at the US government arsenal at Springfield, BUT the late make and the Vietnam era part number does make me suspicious.

Here's why it's "I assume".
Springfield Arsenal did make Model 1912 and 1916 hip holsters up to and during WWII.

I THOUGHT they stopped after the war, and all holsters were made by civilian contractors.

Your holster is marked Springfield Armory, AND has a 1960's GI part number. This is odd, and I have never seen a Springfield holster made this late.

Without anything else to go on, I'll assume this was made at the US arsenal at Springfield, Mass.

If I could actually see the holster I might be of more help.
You could compare your's to an original Model 1916 from a known maker.

A genuine USGI holster is made of high-grade materials, and the government was VERY specific about exactly what quality of leather and materials was used, and also very specific about just how the holster was constructed and stitched together.

MOST copies differ in the fine details and by comparing to an original it's fairly easy to spot a non-GI copy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts