1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I heard one one of those other gun forums (Either Assaultweb.net or ar15.com) that Springfield Armory is going to start cranking out M1 Garands. I haven't seen anything new on their web page since that Glock-1911 thingy. Does anyone know anything about this? I called Turner's (local gun store) and asked a guy there, and he said he's heard rumors about it but hasn't seen zip. Some guy on another forum said he already picked one up. Thing goes for like $800. I know used Garands are cheaper and have a piece of American history but I'm just curious of anyone knows anything about this.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If what I heard is correct, they`ll be manufactured in both 30.06 & .308. List is $995. I saw that post about the $800 one but I can`t recall the details. I`d wait and see one in person before I decided. I have 2 Garands and they`re a piece of history. I suppose there`s room for one more. Some guys like the later M1 carbines too.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
On another forum, I heard that this rumor has been going around for years. Springfield Armory will be hard pressed to make heir own M1 Garand copies when you can get the real thing (and in excellent condition) for about the same price. Also, it's important to remember that there are two "Springfield Armories": the original government-owned armory that made rifles (including Garands) for the U.S. government for about 200 years (until 1968), and the newer, commercially owned "Springfield Armory, Inc." which was founded in the 1970s & currently makes 1911s and M1As. I have a Garand with an original Springfield Armory receiver from 1944, so it's possible that the rumor you heard is referring to this category of Garands.

Of course, I love Garands, so if this rumor is true, the more Garands, the better.

[This message has been edited by GI-45 (edited 11-18-2001).]

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can personally attest to you that so far this is mere hype once again on Springfield Inc.'s behalf. They are yet to release this fabled rifle of which they speak. I have off and on been in contact via email with them through Kim in sales at Springfield. Also this is a subject of great debate and Walt Kulek and myself along with Clint Mckee have mentioned this in the past on on the Yahoo group. SO do not feel bad if you do not see one. They have been talking of a great undertaking in any event as their intention has been to make new forged recievers. This is an incredibily complex reciever to make. That is the reason all of the cast rifles recently made are so much junk.Just join a CMP affiliated range and get a real one and save your self the heartache. Stay low and shoot straight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts