1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in picking up a 1911. The problem I have is which make is better Springfield or Kimber? I'd like the opinions of people who own or have shot one or both of them. Help me out here!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Both are good guns but look for sales. Turners now has a sale on the SA, with the Novak sights. The only thing I think which I would consider in both would be if you want to install Adj. sights. Both guns have sight cuts that will not accept Adj. sight easily. But I think Bomar does make a sight to fit the Kimber cut.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would give the nod to Springfield. Kimber uses, IMO, way too many MIM parts (SA does use some, but not as many). Also, in my area, Springfields go for about $100 less than the comparable Kimbers. So, you get a better gun at a better price.

Billy Ray

P.S. Post this same question in the Kimber forum, and they'll tell you exactly the opposite--of course, they don't know what they're talking about since they were foolish enough to buy Kimbers in the first place...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jin-Roh,

I own them both, and my vote would go to Kimber. IMHO, the fit and finish is much better, and the Kimber certainly worked much better out of the box. See the range report on my SA 9MM below. Bottom line, my Kimber was twice as accurate out of the box. Of course, YMMV.

Regards,
Conan

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I also own both, and I agree completely with Conan, he is right on the money!
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have owned both Kimber and SA. I really liked both pistols.

That being said, I like the SA more. Why? Just my personal preferance. I don't feel that you can go wrong with either pistol.
Good Luck

Semper Fi
USMC03

·
Registered
869 Posts
I own 5 of the major brands that manufacture 1911's. In fact, I own multiples of these guns. You're not going to get me started on this one again. All are good weapons, depends on personal preference, what it's to be used for and what nuances in a pistol you are looking for. Sorry I can' be more specific, but this type of post finds me flaming others at the same time I'm arguing with myself!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Originally posted by Peak:
I own 5 of the major brands that manufacture 1911's. In fact, I own multiples of these guns. You're not going to get me started on this one again. All are good weapons, depends on personal preference, what it's to be used for and what nuances in a pistol you are looking for. Sorry I can' be more specific, but this type of post finds me flaming others at the same time I'm arguing with myself!
DITTO!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Might depend on the ca;iber your looking for. I assume you want a 45. I would look for a good used colt and have a reliability and trigger job done. The SA has a different grip profile than the Colts but then again so does the Kimber. You could get used to either. From all the post I've read lately I would go with the SA Loaded, it got good value for the buck.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
How 'bout this...YOU go down to the sore and try everything!!!
When you start havin' trouble puttin' ONE of 'em down, that's the one that's talkin' to ya'!

Sayin'..."take me home...take me home..."

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I own both in stainless. The Kimber is the better buy IMO - better finish (dehorned), more accurate & tighter frame-to-slide fit. With the same after market grip panels installed on both pistols the profile "difference" is negligible to me. Either way - ENJOY!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts