1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get my first 1911, and have narrowed the choices down to either a Springfield "Fully Loaded" full size parkerized, same as the LEGP gun, or a Kimber Custom Matte. I know that the price on the Springfield is around $600. What is a good price on the Kimber? Bottom line, which will be the better gun for the money? Both seem to have a good reputation. Do the two models I listed have similar features and workmanship? My brother-in-law has a SA, and it shoots very well. I have never fired a Kimber. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lab

·
Registered
892 Posts
The best thing to do is go to a gun shop and handle them both. Maybe even go to a range and rent them and shoot a little through them.

The prices for each model are going to be about the same. Though, the Springer will get you night sights.

I personally think based on what I have seen, heard, and experienced myself, that the Kimber has a better overall fit, finish, and feel.

But, you need to go check that out for yourself. Also lurk on the Kimber and Springfield forums for a couple of weeks and see what people are saying on each.

·
Registered
332 Posts
all brands have their flaws. try and get a good look at it before you commit to paying so much for something that my not be what you expected. give a lot of time for breaking in. those babies can take a few hundred rounds before they are settled. my kimbers have always been reliable and accurate....especially my royal. do a lot of dry firing, keep 'em clean, and watch where you're pointin' that thing!!!

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have owned my Kimber Custom Stainless for about a month now. I have 200 rounds through it and no complaints. Although, it is not really comparing apples to apples, the Kimber is much better than the Mil-Spec Springfield I used to own.

WJR

·
Registered
273 Posts
Okay, Springfield vs Kimber...

No question - KIMBER.

I have had several Kimbers, and have never been disappointed.

Kimber Classic (Baseline w/Nite-Sights) w/cost of 719.00. Around 4K rounds through it - No problems.

Kimber Pro CDP (Took to ThunderRanch), No malfunctions - A little more expensive - 899.00.

Neither of above had Nite-Sight problems.

Take Care and Happy Shooting, Thunder25

[This message has been edited by Thunder25 (edited 11-16-2001).]

·
Registered
254 Posts
First, the reality of it is that most likely either pistol would serve you well, but.. to answer your question, my vote is get the Kimber. I have 4 Kimbers, and 3 of them have been simply excellent. The fourth one, a Super Match, hasn't quite lived up to it's billing yet, but that's a whole different story. I have a Kimber Custom, that's been exceptional, probably 4 thousand plus rounds fired though it and it runs like a champ. The only failures I've had with this gun were traced to a bad magazine. I've also had 2 S&A's, and I won't flame them, they were accurate, and functioned just fine, but in my opinion the fit and finish of the my Kimbers is better than Springfield. I also don't care for the flatter front strap on the S&A frame. I don't know if S&A is still using 2 piece barrels or if they've changed that. One other thing, at least for me, I know of 2 new S&A's that have had problems with the 2 piece guide rods. In both cases, the guide rod bases were causing malfunctions by not allowing the slide to work freely. May be just a quirk, who knows. I know alot of guys who shoot S&A's and overall they make a very good pistol. But as long as you stay away from Custom Shop guns, I believe the Kimbers are better overall. Good luck with whatever you decide.

mavrick

·
Registered
121 Posts
I recently bought a 2001 SA Champion Loaded Parkerized. The gun performed flawlessly out of the box with ball, HP and handloads.

The gun functioned so well with the standard mags supplied that I ordered 4 more SA mags with coupons, and the gun hasn't missed a beat with any of the 6 mags.

The Novak sights were perfectly registered. No QC problems or visible flaws whatsoever.

My only criticism is that the gun was supplied with a trigger pull of about 7 pounds. That's been since fixed by local pistolsmith, and I'm left with a fine pistol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by Lab:
I am looking to get my first 1911, and have narrowed the choices down to either a Springfield "Fully Loaded" full size parkerized, same as the LEGP gun, or a Kimber Custom Matte. I know that the price on the Springfield is around $600. What is a good price on the Kimber? Bottom line, which will be the better gun for the money? Both seem to have a good reputation. Do the two models I listed have similar features and workmanship? My brother-in-law has a SA, and it shoots very well. I have never fired a Kimber. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lab

A good price on a Kimber would of course be as cheap as you can get it! But really, I bought mine (custom choice) for $650.00, with a little haggling. But here again, not from a chain store either! An individual. The pistol was new in the case, never fired.

I have shot both pistols you inquire about, and personally I think it is sixes....the springfield being a little cheaper, it may be the way you want to go.

I have fired probably 6-700 rounds through my Kimber thusfar, and I like the gun better than my original Colt 1911.

Hope this info helps!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both, a Kimber Herritage Edition and the Springfield A1. The kimber is lighter and was extreemly accurate right out of the box. The springfield is very nice but my needs a little break in time as it tends to hang up every so often. I have 200 round of 40 cal SW through it and it seems to be better. When contacting Springfield about this situation they suggested a little more break in time or send it back for some adjustment which will take 4-5 weeks! Over all the fit and finish is about the same. The Kimber was $740 and the Sprinfield was $630. I'm more accurate with the Springfield.

·
Registered
166 Posts
All I can say is both are great pistols. As I have always suggested to everyone asking the same question is to try to see if you can rent both and shoot them.
I own both. The Kimbers took me a few range sessions to be accurate with them. With my SA 2001 Loaded, I am accurate with it on the first day I shot it.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I've had multiple examples of both.

Kimber is better out of the box. Frame/slide fit is better, frontstrap is the right contour, and the barrel is fitted right for accuracy. I'm not a big fan of the sites but they can be replaced with Novaks or Heinie's easily. If you want it to look good invest an extra 50 bucks in a nice set of grips. You do get MIM parts, which in my experience are fine. Some guys just have to get rid of them - a 100-150 dollar problem.

I don't like the higher level Kimbers because IMO the stuff they add is not as good as me picking the add-ons myself. Kimber night sights are an example. Just not as good as Novaks or Heinie's. And their checkering isn't all that great IMO.

Springfield is a good value, but I've yet to buy one with a barrel fitted right. So (for me anyway) that means a new barrel fitted by a gunsmith. Big bucks right there. Then there's the thick frontstrap and dustcover. It's a matter of personal preference but I get mine recontoured - more $$. All steel ignition components though.

With all that said, my best shooting gun is a Springfield that has had a Nowlin barrel fitted and is a real tack driver. It balances a touch better than the Kimber for me (being heavier). Still, if I had to pick only one today, I'd go Kimber classic and add good sites and a set of grips.

·
Registered
441 Posts
About a year ago I bought a Kimber Custom Stainless .45acp.

This summer I bought a Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded stainless in 9mm.

I have fired over 1000 rounds through each pistol so far without any problems. Both are on a steady diet of hardball reloads.

I really like both of these pistols.

The Springfield has sharp edges on the slide serations that shred your skin. A little stone work eases that problem.

Both pistols have fixed sights that give my old eyes an adequate sight picture, but I really prefer the Novak's on the Springfield over the McCormick's on the Kimber.

Both have a pretty good triggers out of the box and I won't be messing with either one.

I sold a Colt Gold Cup to buy the Kimber and have never been sorry that I did.

This probably isn't much help, but I think you will be happy and well served by either of these pistols.

------------------
Neil
"I AM my brothers keeper"

·
Administrator
18,581 Posts
Originally posted by Thunder25:
Okay, Springfield vs Kimber...

No question - KIMBER.

I have had several Kimbers, and have never been disappointed.
Just out of curiousity, have you had any Springers?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a springfield my friend has a kimber.They were both bought at the same time and both NIB.We have shot probably 5-600 rds through each so far,my springfield has not jammed or caused any probs,but his kimber has jammed 10 times or so.He's tried different things to solve his prob but it still jammed the last time we went shooting,so my vote is for Springfield Armory.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
If you can live with the sharper (than Kimber) edges the Springfield is the way to go. You get night sights and a durable finish all in one neat package. OTOH, the Kimber is dehorned better than the Springfield and usually has a better slide to frame fit and barrel lock up. Tough choice, if it was my call I might just have to flip a coin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts