1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I recently test fired this pistol for the first time after owning it for a couple of years. I cleaned it lightly before shooting it, tried to fire it using 3 different brands of 115 grain ammo, and none will feed. Literally had to manually rack the slide for each shot, then the slide would stop half way back with the cartridge held securely by the extractor. I took it all apart, thoroughly cleaned and lubricated it. Seemed like it had some small amount of dried storage grease in the chamber, cleaned it completely so a cartridge will drop in to the chamber by hand and can be removed with finger tips easily. OK, tried firing it again, same issues, will not eject cartridge.
The other thing it does, when I insert the full mag, chamber a round, then remove mag to top off, 2 rounds fall out of the mag well.
I called S.A., they suggested I send the pistol to them, which I will do if necessary, but maybe I can resolve the issues? The person I spoke with didn't make any suggestions about what to do, but I read somewhere that these 9mm pistols do not like anything but 124 grain ammo. I went to 5 stores to try to buy some, but none is available where I live. I ordered some, so will try it when I get it.
Just seems odd that it is so finicky, 115 grain 9mm is a standard round I think.
Does anybody have any suggestions? Maybe I need to try some +P ammo?
I

·
Super Moderator
14,332 Posts
Agreed, sounds like a magazine issue to me. Also, the 115 gr. ammo may or may not be loaded to the level your gun requires - not all 115 gr. ammo is equal. I've broken in 2 1911's in 9mm with a variety of 115, 124, and 135 gr. ammo and had no problems, but it was not the cheap stuff like WWB white box or Aguila; most of mine was Federal American Eagle, Wilson remanufactured bulk packs, or my own reloads. For break-in purposes, at least the first 300 rounds, I usually run American Eagle 115 or my 135 gr. reloads.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Couple of things I learned with my SS 9mm RO, first and foremost go in and properly tune/refit the extractor. mine only had about .053in between the hook & breechface which would bind the round’s rim when feeding it into the chamber, I fitted a Wilson b-proof that gave me around .073in between the hook and breechface along with proper tensioning and profiling all the feed and extraction problems just went away.

Also, with the slide off insert a fully loaded mag into the frame and see if it hits the bottom of the ejector, it did on all my Springfield 1911’s and I believe is what caused the ejector to come loose on my emp4. If it does hit spend some time to chamfer/bevel the lower corner of the ejector to clear the round when you hold a fully loaded mag full up with your thumb.

Also I highly recommend a read of steve-in-Allentown’s excellent write-up of extractor fitting, makes a huge difference in the gun’s operation and quite frankly I haven’t found a properly fitted extractor in any of my guns past my Ed Brown Executive. Most pinch the round rim waaay to tight causing it to bind when feeding a bullet into the chamber, take a look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow! Great advice! I will take a good look at these issues. I ordered some 124 grain ammo, (after trying to find some locally and finding everything sold out), so I will try it when it arrives, but seems more than likely I will be sending the pistol back to S.A., tho I am hesitant, since it sounds like it will be at least a month turn around. But least I am encouraged to talk to those people and they seem eager to make the gun run right for me.
I'll keep you posted on what turns out to be the problem.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a 9mm Springfield, and it was super tight, it would give me trouble until i got a couple hundreds rounds through it - then it worked ok and still works well now. As far as sending it back to Springfield goes, if you have to do that - they have a great shop, I am sure the will make it run right for you

Josh

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I received some 9mm 124 grain ammo yesterday, and fired off 2 magazines this morning without a glitch. Nice!
I had done a close examination of the extractor, and it seems a perfect fit. When I slip a cartridge under the extractor, it is a slightly loose fit, if I shake the slide lightly it retains the cartridge, and if I slap it gently it flips the cartridge out.
I guess I can conclude that the recoil spring is just a tad too stiff for the 115 grain ammo to function well, but maybe as the gun gets broken in it will start to work.

·
Registered
563 Posts
A couple of points I would make are that all 1911s should be given a break-in period and that they like to run wet.

I was at the range this past week and the gentleman next to me was having feeding issues with his 1911 and said this has been a problem with this gun. I asked if I could look at it and upon examination the rails seemed very dry, so with his permission I lubed it. He then went through 3 more mags without a hitch and was very pleased.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, update after some delay. This pistol feeds 115 grain Eco hardball ammo no problem, but will not lock slide back open on last round? Weird! Is it an issue with the ammo not slamming the slide back hard enough to lock it open? Seems like it would not feed reliably if that was the case? It locks back open with the 124 grain Blazer Brass. Maybe I answered my own question?
Oh, and yes I have been lubricating the hell out of it with Tetra grease and oil combined.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts