1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a springfield operator, got it lnib, had never been fired, just registered once,,,,, and came with two sets of grips , 2 mags, and a one piece guide rod set up as well,,, in addition to the other set up,,,
anyway,,,, what mods would you suggest for reliability,,, any I can do at home or do I need to send it out ????

thanks in advance for your help

·
Registered
131 Posts
Shoot it and see how she shoots before you send it off and pay money for something you dont need. Buy 300 rounds and let us know how she shoots.

·
Registered
658 Posts
What keelan said- shoot a couple hundred rounds of ball to break it in, then shoot some quality defense ammo through quality magazines. If you don't have any feeding problems, it doesn't need 'reliability' work. Contrary to the opinions of many folks, a lot of quality 1911's will run fine right out of the box. My SA Mil-spec, even with its rough feed ramp, will feed anything I give it out of Metalform magazines.

·
Registered
171 Posts
All excellent advice above. IMHO I would take it to the 500 round mark, however, before deciding to have a qualified smith tinker or not tinker with it. Chances are always good that you have a reliable shooter already. Pay attention to FTF or FTE's- if any. Pay attention to the trigger pull. Keep an eye on the internals for any unusual wear signs.

You probably already know this but: Keep it clean and well lubed. Grip it hard. Use factory ball ammo. Clean the mags. Sometimes run your defensive hollow points through it to see how they are handled.

PS

Pay no attention to people who might say to let it go dirty. You know, statements like, "I've put 1,500 rounds through this gun and no failures". Wow, wopeedoo How ridiculous- methinks it only proves that they have money to burn. Those are probably the same people that never change the oil in their cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts