1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;

Thinking about what to spend this years Income Tax refund on....Got a Nighthawk Enforcer last year. I am torned between getting a SA SOCOM or SA Scout Squad. If anyone who has experiences with either or both models, please post: accuracy, ease of handling, etc. It will probably be a personal rifle, but may end up in my patrol car. :) We have AR15s currently in both full size and M4s, so it probably wouldn't be used as much for sweeping buildings. Having something with a little more punch would be nice for some situations.

·
Registered
715 Posts
That is a hot debate on the m-14 forums, although everybody likes both or rather would take any of them if they were a gift.

I have a Socom. If I had a Scout, I wouldn't likely get a Socom 16. one day I might get a standard 22 inch length m1a for long range work, but unless I hit the lotto, I don't feel the need to ever get the 18 inch scout.

My socom has never misfired and workes perfect. the muzzle break works and follow up shots come quickly. It is pretty specialized and mix and matching parts tends to mess up the gas system. If you want to collect, customize and make an all GI M1a, maybe the scout is the best option.

just a few days ago, I dropped a magazine in the sand and it fed everyone of the rounds.

so in summary, as an owner of a socom 16, I can't answer your question...and I'm biased on the short gun.

·
Registered
362 Posts
mike100 said:
My socom has never misfired and workes perfect. the muzzle break works and follow up shots come quickly. It is pretty specialized and mix and matching parts tends to mess up the gas system. If you want to collect, customize and make an all GI M1a, maybe the scout is the best option.

What kind of range and accuracy do you get out of your SOCOM? I am presently looking at the SOCOM and the Scout.

·
Registered
715 Posts
it's seems to shoot very accurately, more so than me. The only reservation, in regards to rifle range target accuracy, would be the socom tritium front night sight is pretty fat and out to 200-300 yards, it pretty much will obscure the whole target. I'm thinking about getting something else for the front sight.

I only add one click rear sight elevation (1 moa) for 200 yd shooting vs 100. from 25 yards to 100 is fine at the base elevation setting I dialed in with.

This weapon seems to be a no problem out to 150 yards under stress or standing shots kind of rifle. Anything farther might take 2 shots. elevation is always there, but I can get a pretty wide lateral spread shooting at distance.

Now I want a fullsize M1A companion rifle, but building your own out of GI spec parts is too expesive, I think better deals can be had on complete used GI spec guns for sale.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thank you for the detail, Mike. Is it possible to change the front sight without throwing the weapon off-kilter? The SOCOM being a proprietary system is the only thing that has me concerned. Though I am not a mod'er by any stretch of the imagination yet. I'm sure if I ever wanted to be I would get an M1A Standard and tweak it out for long range work.

But man, 200 yards out of a 16 inch barrel. Yeea :) I think it'll take me long enough to master that that the SOCOM would be an ideal weapon, and great for short range and maneuverability(sp) too.

D**n it, now I'm back to getting the SOCOM. Actually I held both at the shop today after firing an SKS and a Russian M44. I really want an M1A :) Scout or SOCOM :cool: . Soon come, mon. Soon come.

·
Banned
1,663 Posts
I looked at both. For me, the SOCOM was the answer. I have a Rock River AR-15 with a 16 inch target crown barrel and 3-9 variable scope. I am able to shoot very well with the AR to 300 yards. That was the reason that I got the shorter barreled SOCOM. I am now looking at selling the AR as the SOCOM fills the need for me for a sort of close quarters "carbine" and longer range punch. I just was not comfortable with the power of the .223 round, and the .308 is no slouch. I have been able to shoot the SOCOM well to 300 yards with open sights. I also have a 3-6 variable scout scope for it that I have not sighted in yet. I am also using a red dot for the closer in stuff mounted on the SOCOM. The Scout is a great comprimise if you are not sure about the shorter SOCOM and don't want the full size M1A. I think that if you really take a look at how you intend to use it, it will make up your mind for you. If you are looking for longer range reach, then the Scout or regular M1A would be good. If you want something with more punch than the .223 and lighter and handier to serve at closer ranges and still be able to reach out and touch someone at longer ranges, then the SOCOM would be the ticket. Mine shoots very very well out to 300, no problems. I don't feel that I give up a thing with the shorter barrel. The compensator really works well. There is a noticable difference in barrel rise and shot to shot recovery with the SOCOM over the normal M1A or Scout. Even compared to my Garand chambered in 30.06. No issues at all for me with reliability or function with the SOCOM. I have about 700 rounds through it now and it still is working flawlessly. The scope/Picatinny mount gets very HOT, so you will have to consider that when choosing optional sights. I don't have the new SOCOM with all of the rails on it and would not recommend it either. Much heavier.

Deez.

·
Registered
715 Posts
McKirdyP said:
Thank you for the detail, Mike. Is it possible to change the front sight without throwing the weapon off-kilter? The SOCOM being a proprietary system is the only thing that has me concerned.
I think the sight just slides out of the muzzle break. another idea i had was to just re elevate the rear sight to aim more for a six o'clock sight picture as usually i prefer to put the middle sight right on the target. this will give a better picture at 200+ yds so i can center the black dot over the middle. if not, i think a GI style sight will screw in place, but I'm not sure until i try it or am told otherwise.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thank you Mike and deezul.

The mission is definitely key. If you guys are knocking'em down at 300 yards I think the SOCOM covers it. I sure hope I wouldn't have a real need to shoot anything farther than that. Plus the main mission I'm covering atm is HD. For that the maneuverability of the SOCOM in close quarters would be invaluable I'm sure.

One other question atm. Do you fire 7.62x51 NATO or .308 Win or both in the SOCOM?

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have only fired milsurp 7.62x51 up to this point, but I have a box of 20 .308 shells with a shorter bullet, but I think they ought to be fine. I think i'll try it with only one or two in the mag so that if the headspace issues crop up, it won't slam fire or double a whole magazine on full auto.

if it did, it would be fun to hear..but I believe SAI sets 'em up to work good with commercial ammo. thin primers on commercial ammo make me kind of hesistant to use it for anything except the range. just need time to see how it shoots.

I was kind of waiting for someone else to say they have already shot it..hehe

·
Registered
362 Posts
Awesome thanks again guys!

I bought my TLE/RL II today so I think the rifle is gonna have to wait till after the turn of the year and the refund or my house sale. However, I held them both( SOCOM and the Scout ) again today while waiting on TLE/RL approval and a gentleman who works at the shop and owns a SOCOM with about 2500 rounds through his in .308 and NATO as well confirms it yet again. The ranges as well. Yeeeea, I think we're still at SOCOM :). If I ever want to shoot out to the 500+ arena I'll just get a longer rifle. Probably the M1A Standard 22" and put a nice scope on it. Or something or other.

But damn it no more 1911's no more pistols. My rifle is next! I'll keep telling myself that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.