1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at the gun show this weekend, one of the vendors tried to get me to buy the rock river arms GI style 1911.
he said a bunch of bad stuff about the the springfield and was really pushing the RRA version.

his sell was a little off putting, to say the least, and it made me wonder is the RRA any good?

Ive pretty much decided on the S-A but if the RRA is good, i'd consider it

opinions, flames, cranberry sauce?
spenny

·
Banned
597 Posts
I wouldn't think these two guns would even be in the same ballpark in terms of price. What was he quoting as prices on the two?
With that said, there isn't anything wrong with the SA per se, but then it's a $400 gun as compared to a $1k+ gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i believe the RRA was about $370 and he had the SA for about $445
(to reiterate, these are the WWII/GI bog standard flavor)

i saw another dealer who had the SA for $370, but hadnt brought any with him, and said to see him next time

spenny

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Rock River Arms guns are in the same league as Baer, Ed Brown and Wilson. Their cheapest model is like $1,500 now. Maybe a really old, used one would be in the same ballpark price-wise as a higher end SA model, but otherwise the comparison makes no sense.

I think you have confused Rock River Arms with Rock Island Armory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also...
if i had $1000 to spend for a 1911, i'd have a much harder time making a decision, having a $450 +/- budget has made it MUCH easier :)

s.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Once again, someone has confused the names:

Rock River Arms (made in the us, starts arround $1200)

Rock Island Armory (made in the Philippines, starts around $350)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would guess you were looking at a Rock Island Armory vs.SA. If you can buy a RRA for $370 grab it since these guns are in the $1400 range and are super top quality.If it is a RIA that sounds a little high I paid $319.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do'h!
you guy are right, it was a Rock Island Armory.

sorry for the confusion

spenny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, now that my head is out of my butt,
springfield armory vs rock island armory, any reason to consider the RIA?

spenny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
shane45-1911 said:
Yes.

So you will know why you should have bought the SA.

LOL! thanks guys, i'm definately going with the springfield.

spenny

·
Registered
314 Posts
Rock Island Armory Milspec .45: Good fit, finish and trigger right out of the box, accurate & reliable, hardchromed bbl, no MIM parts or 2-piece bbls. What's not to like for $299 dealer price? Mine's over 500rds now, everything from Wolf FMJ to Federal 200gr +P EFMJ. Do a search here and see how many RIA problems have been posted vs SA problems posted and while you're at it see how many happy RIA owners have posted. A higher price doesn't always mean better quality/reliability.
Regardless of your choice, good luck and give us a range report!
Tomac

·
Registered
14 Posts
not bashing, but...

Tomac,

You can't base the decision on number of complaints on a website. The numbers are meaningless until you put them into a percentage form.

Here's why: McDonalds may get 1000 complaints every day about their hamburger quality. My local chain restaurant Rally's only gets 3 per day. But McDonalds sells (wild arse guess here, numbers here are only for arguments sake) 1,000,000 hamburgers per day, and my local chain sells 250.

McDonalds certainly has MANY more complaints, but based on the number sold, their complaint rate is 0.1%. My local chain is 1.2%, or 10 times worse.

Springfield sells MANY more 1911's of different shapes and flavors than RIA does, so it only makes sense that they are going to have more complaints. Same holds for Kimber.

If anyone doubts whether SA can make a good MILSpec, go to the SA section of this site and read about Gary "torture testing" his new SA MILSpec without cleaning it, and you may be a believer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jeff,
gary's torture test was the nail in the coffin of everything other than the S-A, but I had never heard of RIA before going to the gun show last weekend, so i thought i should get opinions from the in-the-know

tomac,
i dont doubt that your RIA is a great weapon, but the avalanche of positive things said about the S-A is what really made up my mind.

thanks everyone for the input.

i will definately post a range report once i get it.

everybody have a safe thanksgiving weekend, even if you are only going as far as the fridge to get some more pie!

spenny

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.