1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes the beavertail gaps to the frame from the factory on loaded, TRP, Range Officer models. One solution is to fit a Wilson to it. Anybody care to share pics about how putting Wilson on it looked and the fitting required?

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
For a production pistol, my SAs have pretty nice fitting grip safeties. The only way to really have a tighter fitting grip safety, is to perhaps go with a little over sized one from Smith & Alexander and fit to the frame. IMHO, I think it would be a lot of work and money for a small return in aesthetics.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smith &Alexander makes one that drops right in

I called them and they told me they make nothing which could be fit to an SA loaded gun.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are the only posts online I can find showing this kind of work. . .

Post #1 - TRP

Post #2 - S&A

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
I believe the Springfield is a copy of the Wilson. They told me they use Wilsons on the Custom Shop stuff. A Wilson may be able to be fit a little closer, but an oversize EGW or some welding would be the best bet.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just got a Wilson for my MC OP. There is still a small gap so I have a friend who is going to TIG it up so I can get a tight fit.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I called them and they told me they make nothing which could be fit to an SA loaded gun.
That's pretty much what I was eluding to in my earlier post. You'll need to go with a .220 radius grip safety and then fit it to the frame. Lots of file fitting and blending...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I put a wilson on mine and it's still gapped.
I should have paid to have it welded up and refit when I had all the other work done but it's done now so it will just have to be.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
They still look better than some Colts.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Factory cut Sprinfield frames use the "Wilson" radius. Nothing on the market besides a Wilson will fit. Unfortunately the only way to get a nice snug fit on a Springfield is to have the tangs welded and then re-fit the GS.

That's one of the first things I look for when looking at springfields because some come with a great fitting GS and others come with nasty gaps. I have seen TRPs with nasty ill fitting grip safeties.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought a Wilson which was a good match to fit it to the Springfield Loaded.

I will start a new post to discuss fitting this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts