1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 5" Stainless Loaded. Sent it back because the slide was rubbing inside the dustcover and extractor had little tension and several FTF out of box. When I slid a round under the extractor with slide removed, I could not push the round into contact with the breach. It seemed to have too large a radius on the side opposite the extractor and fired brass showed this on the rim too.
When returned with extractor replaced and "opened breachface", I still cannot push a round into contact with breach. It appears to "hang up" on the tip of the extractor. Fired cases show a small "mark" in the extraction groove and it still deforms the rim opposite the extractor. But it has tension now and is much more reliable.
They smoothed the inside of the dustcover nicely, but it still rubs.

Is it normal for the slide to rub the frame?
Is it normal not to be able to push a round into contact with the breach?

·
Registered
372 Posts
No the slide is not suppose to rub on the dust cover at all this is not a matter of polishing the dust cover on the inside the problem is the rails are off alignment send it back and have Dave Williams, look at it he will agree and most likely get this problem fixed.Springfield has great customer service. Ocg1911

·
Registered
484 Posts
The older springfields were notorious for having a tight breechface. All my match guns were opened up since most of my .45 brass headtamps are unreadable now. I cant comment on the newer loaded models.

------------------
front sight is good, front sight is good!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
MD,
It sounds like your slide and frame rails are not true with each other. There is usually not enough material in the wall of the dust cover to remove for clearance, without weakening the dust cover. I'd send it back to Springfield again. Call their Customer Service, explain the problem and ask them to send a UPS "call tag", so they pick up the shipping.

If I'm understanding your extractor question correctly, you are not able to push the round back against the breechface, when you have the round in place under the extractor hook. The tip off was the mark in the extractor groove.
The front face of the extractor should not touch the case in the forward bevel of the extractor groove. Slowly stone it back until iit just clears. This kind of interference can lead to breakage of the extractor claw.
The tip of the claw also should not touch the deepest part of the extractor groove. Lightly stone the tip of the claw, until it doesn't touch. Use several brand new cases to check.

I'd get the dust cover issue resolved first, before working on the extractor. If you want to replace the extractor with a good stainless steel one, get in touch with Don Williams at Action Works. He makes a good one! Good Luck!
John Harrison

[This message has been edited by Precision Gunworks (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Precision Gunworks. A copy of Kuhnhauser's books arrived from my mother-in-law a couple of days ago. It had a good closeup of an extractor and dimension/tolerances. The extractor was 0.127" from the tip to the back, instead of 0.115/0.117 per Kuhnhauser. I stoned the extractor to dimensions in the book and it is now possible to make the base of the case contact the breachface with light finger pressure and the tip of the extractor just clears the extraction groove. I shot 30 or so rounds thru it a couple of days ago and it worked flawlessly. All cases ejected in same small area.

SA said the tip of the extractor could be stoned but it would be too thin and would probably break. It looks as beefy as before and just like the photo in K's book. The slide rub they said was cosmetic and not to worry. If not lubricated, the slide will stick and not "close" on its own if eased down slowly. I think I will shoot it some more and talk to SA again. It may rub enough to cause FTF if not lubricated. I have about 600 rounds thru it so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts