1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 5" Stainless Loaded. Sent it back because the slide was rubbing inside the dustcover and extractor had little tension and several FTF out of box. When I slid a round under the extractor with slide removed, I could not push the round into contact with the breach. It seemed to have too large a radius on the side opposite the extractor and fired brass showed this on the rim too.
When returned with extractor replaced and "opened breachface", I still cannot push a round into contact with breach. It appears to "hang up" on the tip of the extractor. Fired cases show a small "mark" in the extraction groove and it still deforms the rim opposite the extractor. But it has tension now and is much more reliable.
They smoothed the inside of the dustcover nicely, but it still rubs.

Is it normal for the slide to rub the frame?
Is it normal not to be able to push a round into contact with the breach?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Precision Gunworks. A copy of Kuhnhauser's books arrived from my mother-in-law a couple of days ago. It had a good closeup of an extractor and dimension/tolerances. The extractor was 0.127" from the tip to the back, instead of 0.115/0.117 per Kuhnhauser. I stoned the extractor to dimensions in the book and it is now possible to make the base of the case contact the breachface with light finger pressure and the tip of the extractor just clears the extraction groove. I shot 30 or so rounds thru it a couple of days ago and it worked flawlessly. All cases ejected in same small area.

SA said the tip of the extractor could be stoned but it would be too thin and would probably break. It looks as beefy as before and just like the photo in K's book. The slide rub they said was cosmetic and not to worry. If not lubricated, the slide will stick and not "close" on its own if eased down slowly. I think I will shoot it some more and talk to SA again. It may rub enough to cause FTF if not lubricated. I have about 600 rounds thru it so far.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts