1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Springfield Loaded 9x19.

It's been Out of the box for 15 minutes, working the slide, magazine release, etc. I engage/disengage the safety a number of times.

I go to disengage the safetly left handed and the the lever moves slightly but will not disengage the safety. It won't re-engage or disengage with either hand now. I notice the two safety levers look a little too wide on the body of the gun. If I push the right handed safety lever towards the gun body it moves closer to the body a hair and I am then able to use the safety properly right handed. Every time I try left handed I get the same problem noted above.

I take it back to the store. Their gunsmith spends a few minutes with it. I get it back and try the safety. Works both sides. Safety feels different, sharper movement.

Take it home. Work the safety again a few times. The same problem arises after only a few more cycles of the safety.

Can anyone offer any insight?

What would you recommend I do?

I'm not at all thrilled and am concerned I could have problems arise 3 years down the road with the safety.

·
Registered
21,988 Posts
Are you left-handed? If not, have a standard safety put on.

Springfield is pretty good about working on the defective guns they sell, contact them.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Sad to say.....things like this do happen, but it can be taken care.

I ran into this same thing with a guy at the range this weekend. He had a NIB Taurus PT1911 and the thumb safety kept slipping out just enough (right side) to lock up his gun. He bopped up the street to one of our local smiths and had it taken care of.

A smith should be able to get it tightened up properly thus keeping it from coming loose or S A Service can definately do it. It should be a fix that will last, once done, and you can return to having trust and confidence in your weapon.

Also as Jim suggested.....you can go to a single side safety unless you need and want the ambi.

Don't let this throw you. Enjoy that 9mm when she is in hand. I currently own three Springer 9mm's (a Loaded-combat sights, a Caspian frame/Springer slide hybrid and a old Springer Mil Spec). Two have ambi's and the other has the Mil Spec sized single side safety). They are all dynamite shooters.

Good luck and keep us posted. :rock:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
CALL SPRINGFIELD. They have excellent customer service and the will take care of you. I made a goon mistake with my XD, they took it back and fixed it for free under warrenty- and by free I mean they covered shipping too.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
A word of encouragement:

One of my first Springer 9mm's came in with a slide to frame fit that was so tight the gun would not cycle well at all. Springer did an excellant job of correcting the problem. That gun now has an incredibly high round count and after that intial work it has not baulked once.

Good luck and great shooting to you. :rock:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Heh....MIM steel is good enough, eh? I think not. I think SA makes a decent gun out-of-the-box, but I'd still replace all the MIM parts with something else (check out parts made by Cylinder and Slide).

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
mac266 said:
Heh....MIM steel is good enough, eh? I think not. I think SA makes a decent gun out-of-the-box, but I'd still replace all the MIM parts with something else (check out parts made by Cylinder and Slide).
Please don't start a MIM bash party, the part is obviously fit wrong period (doesn't matter if it's bar stock,cast or mim if the fit is poor).

Send the weapon back to Springfield and dump the ambi unless you absolutely need it (they're more trouble than they're worth). Good luck-

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I just got off the phone with Springfield's customer service, I was told they guarantee their guns for life, I don't believe you can get better customer service then that.
Call Springfield's customer service, I believe they will fix your gun for free.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Ambidextrous frame safeties are a weak point in the M1911 as the right lever is usually just held on by the right grip and a little paddle on the lever. Internally the two levers mate with a dovetail. Neither part is held as securely as the original single lever part.

If you're left handed make an investment in a good safety. I'm not and have discarded the right lever.

You can see the slight scuff marks where the lever used to be on my Loaded Parkerized pistol.

Yeah, I could file the end of the extractor flush with the slide, but the pistol really doesn't care!

-- Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts