1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attended a local mini show this morning and looked at a Springfield 45. I believe that it saaid Champion on the side. It was stainless with black grips. Had a few minor scuffs on it. I was told that it might be about ten years old but has not been shot very much at all. It does not look like it was. It said Brasil on the slide.

The mag that was in it stuck 1/2 way when I tried to release it and the slide would noy close when the mag was in it. When we tried another mag - from a colt- it worked fine-- released freely and closed.

I was trold that it was on consignment. I asked what they would take for it and he said that he would call and let me know. They were asking 500.00.

What do you think this is worth? It this a popular and reliable gun? Anything specific to look for? Obviously I will get a new mag. For some reason , I thought that the tag said 8 rounds-- but I believe that these are 7 round ????

Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
Champions are the Springfield counterpart to the Colt Commander: 4" barrel (though the Commander's is 4.25"), on a full-size frame. So, the Champion will use 8-rd magazines, if desired.

I have a newer Champion that I've been really happy with; in fact, it's one of my go-to guns should the SHTF. As for their worth, it depends so much on condition, age, modifications (if any), and original configuration that I wouldn't want to hazard a guess. Hope this helps -- good luck!

Specialized

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yep, that'll be two votes for the new Champion.
No complaints here. Keeps getting better. Just a great gun all around.

Regards

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I have the Lwt compact (same as the champion, but with an officer's frame). I only have 250 rounds through it, but it has functioned perfectly and is very accurate.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replys. I will not have a price until Wednesday afternoon. Any input on the value? I called Springfield today and they said that this is a mil spec model made in 94.

Based on some of the conversations that I have seen here should I be concerned that it says Brasil on the side?

It appears to be a polished ss fininh as opopsed to a brushed finish.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
From what I understand, some very fine steel comes out of Brazil. You shouldn't worry about that at all. I have no idea what a fair price would be, especially not being able to see it. I might have some reservations about the age/number of rounds if it was an aluminum frame, but not with a champ.
Make sure you know exactly what to look for in a used 1911, and go for it if the $ suits you. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts