1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what the coat of arms they engrave in their slides means? I like the look of it.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I can answer this. You are referring to the crossed cannons below the flaming bomb. This is from my old alma mater, the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps. It is the Ordnance Corps crest (though the army version says "Ordnance Corps U.S.A." in the band around the cannons.) The insignia of the Ordnance Corps is the flaming bomb (though we called it the "flaming piss-pot"---why? I don't know) but the crest is the crossed cannons as you see on the Springfield slide. As an Ordnance Corps soldier, we were authorized to wear the crest on our Class "A" (dress) uniform. My crest is now on my shooting vest. (I was a 45B; small arms repairman. I repaired thousands of M-1911's.)

If you are ever in Maryland, it is highly advised to take a visit to the Amberdeen Proving Grounds museum. I haunted that place while I AIT'd there on the 45B course. It also has a nice gift shop.

You can contact the Ordnance Corps Association for Ordnance Corps crest pins, decals, patches, and coffee cups. They have a gift shop you can order from. I'll come back here and post the web addres for you, so check back.

------------------

Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those that don't

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Ok, here's the address: http://www.ordnancecorpsassoc.com/giftshop.ivnu

By the way, the crest was one more reason why I just put a down payment on a Springfield MilSpec---my very first .45! After all these years, a .45 in my hands again (but this time to keep!)

------------------

·
Banned
100 Posts
Pretty cool to think George Washington declared in 1794 Springfield Armory it's first U.S. arsenal. WEW kinda beats Kimbers history of 1996. I like the crest also.
Not that Kimbers are not nice, but NOBODY tops SA in Cust.Satisfaction.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry 45Hardballer, Springfield Armory in Ill. has NOTHING to do with THE Springfield Mass. arsenal George Washington founded. That was a federal institution making weapons for the US gov't only, not commercial sales. SA is a commercial company with no connection to the Springfield Mass. arsenal or the US Army Ordnance Corps. Any attempt to link the two would be ficticious.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Perhaps I should have made myself a little clearer. The only difference between the Springfield Armory crest and the U.S. Army Ordnance Corps crest is that the Ordnance Corps crest says "Ordnance Corps U.S.A." on the band around the crossed cannons. Otherwise, they are identical.

------------------

·
Banned
100 Posts
Originally posted by A.Snuffy:
Sorry 45Hardballer, Springfield Armory in Ill. has NOTHING to do with THE Springfield Mass. arsenal George Washington founded. That was a federal institution making weapons for the US gov't only, not commercial sales. SA is a commercial company with no connection to the Springfield Mass. arsenal or the US Army Ordnance Corps. Any attempt to link the two would be ficticious.
No kidding did I need to explain I knew that. Also knowing Bought by Mr. Reese then sold to his 2 sons.
It was a fact on history.
Not a fact about the Springfield's coming from Geneseo,IL 420 West Main St.
Hey guess what I own more then fingures I have and I sell them. LOL
Never assume!!!!!!!!!!!can make you look um dumb IMHO. Want all my RMA #s you can even call and verify? LOL

·
Banned
100 Posts
Originally posted by 45Hardballer:
Originally posted by A.Snuffy:
No kidding did I need to explain I knew that. Also knowing Bought by Mr. Reese then sold to his 2 sons.
It was a fact on history.
Not a fact about the Springfield's coming from Geneseo,IL 420 West Main St.
Hey guess what I own more then fingures I have and I sell them. LOL
Never assume!!!!!!!!!!!can make you look um dumb IMHO. Want all my RMA #s you can even call and verify? LOL

Note: History, SA closed its New England operations in 1968. Also when I refer to Mr. Reese I think he (AQUIRED) the name in early 70's. Now just the name alone is a link and the name is obviously is not ficticious. Hit the library they have those things called books.
"Wise man once said first learn to read before you speak"

·
Registered
15 Posts
yeah right, I see you finely found one, I'm sure glad you think that using the name actually links them.

Howard Hughes

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
It was a neat thread though. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thought the SA crest looked a tad bit Armyish. I'm new to SA, so I was also curious about SAs tie to Washington's SA. As I thought, not much of a tie after all.

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
Old thread . Mr REESE still owns Springfield . One owner since 1974
bought the rights to the rifles and pistols .

The old factory was of no use anymore anyway . It would have needed
to be upgraded to todays CNC machines .

·
Premium Member
5,797 Posts
How on Earth did we fight all of those wars without CNC machines?

LOL ... ok I get it . The good old days . We do not fight with muskets anymore
ether . So It goes both ways . :)

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I still want to know why McNamara closed it down.
Robert McNamara came from Ford Motor Company, where he was one of the original "Whiz Kids". They were a group of former U.S. Air Force officers who were instrumental in putting reliance on statistical data into the new Air Forces systems and overall structure.

When Henry Ford, II, took over Ford, they were nearly bankrupt, and he hired these Air Force Officers to bring systemic thinking and order to Ford. A number of them remained at Ford, and some left to create their own companies. Among them was "Tex" Thornton, who founded what was to become Litton Industries. J. Edward Lundy remained at Ford, and became the most powerful CFO, and some say most powerful executive ever, at Ford.

McNamara rose to the position of president in 1961, but left shortly thereafter, to serve as John F. Kennedy's Secretary of Defense.

McNamara did not like the way that small arms were designed and developed using the armory system. He made it his task to shut it down, and find outside suppliers to get in on the firearms development and procurement processes.

So, after Curtis LeMay had contacted Armalite and contracted for a number of AR15's, McNamara decided to expand the procurement and the saga of the AR15/M16 began.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts